A little redneck and all salvaged coop.

Chicken Rustler

Grabs em n runs
10 Years
Feb 17, 2009
Ethel, Washington
My Coop
My Coop
Wife decided she wanted chickens so I went to work making them a home. Had a neighbor who moved and gave me all of the wire, 4X4's and some other misc lumber plus a couple feeders and some heat lamp fixtures. I took a 12'x16' area of our old barn that I had built for horse feeding stalls and then turned to pygmy goat stalls and it will now be our chicken coop. The actual coop area is 12x12 and then there is a 6x12 area that has one end totally open to the 16x16 outside run. Now lets see if I can post pictures !
This is the wall between the coop and open air area. The plastic will be removed in warmer weather.
23104_im000033.jpg

Here you can see one of the 300 watt lights and the area at the very back/ top has an opening about 2' high and full length for vent.
23104_im000031.jpg

Here are the steps going up into the barn and the people door. I put a hook latch on the people side of the door and a spring to keep it closed when it is not latched.
23104_im000029.jpg

Here is the chicken door to the outside. I made it so we can pull the string in the barn and it will open and then to close it we just use a broom handle and shoot pool through the opening I made in the wire. This way we don't have to go into the coop to let the girls out. The opening is 14"x14"
23104_im000027.jpg

23104_im000028.jpg

This area is on the low end of the roof facing the sun. I plan to make 2 "windows" 2'x6' that I can close in winter and open in summer.
23104_im000025.jpg

Nest box I salvaged from an OLD coop on our propety. Just had do do a little repair and it is good now.
23104_im000024.jpg

Here's our 3 girls out for the first time since I got em. They were very happy to have some grass and bugs. Sorry not a very good foto
23104_im000022.jpg

Here is the open area leading to the outside.
23104_im000021.jpg

Here is a picture of the outside run.
23104_im000019.jpg

And another of the outside run.
23104_im000017.jpg

I still have a few things to finish like that down spout and putting the electric fence around. I think they are fairly secure. The chicken wire rolls to the outside about 1' and the tin is pushed down on it . They are both about 10" deep and back filled. So far not counting chicks and feed supplies I have about $45 in this set up. $35 for the big hanging waterer and $10 for 5000 staples. I know my coop is no where as nice as a lot I have seen here but I was able to make it all with salvaged/ recycled material.
I was so excited when building that I forgot to take pictures as I went. Along with the 2 BR and 1 GSL we have 3 BSL, 3 GSL, 6 RIR, 2 Easter eggers that are 2 weeks and yesterday we picked up 3 Bantams. I saw them little boogers and just couldn't resist. They were so tiny and cute and one has fuzzy legs. I kind of hope that turns out to be a roo. Even though we don't plan on breeding and don't really need a roo, ya just can't have chickens with out roo that just ain't right now is it. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
Im not Lisa but I think you copied the Thumb code on the small ones and the Image code on the large one. I hope this helps.
Edited for spelling lol

Last edited:
Thanks Robin. What I did was right click, click properties and copy the http yada yada stuff. Didn't know I could copy from thumb or image. But I think I understand now and thanks. I would really like to get a size in between I don't want to take a huge space but want them big enough to see.
Rob

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok I didnt know you could do that lol I would guess that you had the big one completely open when you copied the code and then got the code from the thumb.
You can resize when uploading but other then that Im not sure how to do it after uploading.

Last edited:
WOW, did you bring back memories. My first coop was a section of the barn my dad said I could have to raise and show the chickens I wanted. We had chickens but they were the "pratical" kind and I wanted to raise and show fancy (what my dad called them) chickens at the local fairs.
Mine was almost identical to yours with the open area at the top and the chicken wire seperating the coop from the rest of the barn and then the plastic in the winter. I too salvaged an old gate as my people door to enter the coop from the rest of the barn.

What memories, I have not thought about that in years, almost brought a tear to my eyes. The good ole days.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom