A little smelly...

ETCruby620

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 9, 2012
With My Chicken Ruby!
Hello...
My chick Ruby has a smell to her. I know this might be regular for chicks since they lay in their own poop and such, but is there any way to prevent this and get rid of this? Thanks!

Ruby
jumpy.gif

We do not really know for sure how old she is. The smell very much smells like pee. And the smell is usually on your hands after you pick her up and pet her.

Ruby
jumpy.gif

Sounds like ammonia. Where is she living right now? In a chicken house? In a brooder? Either way, I would guess there isn't enough circulation so the bedding is festering. With enough air circulation, even when the bedding is pretty dirty, you shouldn't really smell ammonia. Change the bedding because ammonia fumes are harmful to her respiratory system.

Will she be okay? We do change her bedding in a medium sized cage (for now! We will have a coop soon) every day twice. She does share the cage with another chick probably a little bit younger so that might cause that to happen too. Thanks for telling me!

Ruby
jumpy.gif

Will she be okay? We do change her bedding in a medium sized cage (for now! We will have a coop soon) every day twice. She does share the cage with another chick probably a little bit younger so that might cause that to happen too. Thanks for telling me!

Ruby
jumpy.gif

Ok, I gotta ask, what are you using for the litter? If you are changing it twice a day and only have 2 chicks, I think it may be the litter itself.

Back
Top Bottom