A little thank you!

Louis1990

In the Brooder
Aug 2, 2020
Hey guys!
After growing up on a farm and hatching/raising ducklings for many years growing up I decided to give it another shot during lockdown!
I wanted to say a huge thank you to all who post on here, your advice has been much needed over the last 4 weeks!
I bought an incredibly basic incubator and didn’t have much confidence that i would be able to hatch anything out of it at all but from 4 eggs there were 2 fertile and I’ve just welcomed the second duckling into the world today!
It wasn’t without its fair share of problems though!
The bator was TINY! It says it could fit 7 chicken eggs but I went with 4 Indian runner eggs and even that was a squeeze!
2 were fertile and I was actually grateful because if 4 had hatched in there at the same time I don’t know what I would have done! The humidity was also very hard to control. If it had no water in it, the humidity would sit around 25-30% and with the slightest bit of water it would shoot to over 80%. I think this is what caused the ducklings to need a little assistance in hatching!
They were both HUGE! I only assisted both after that had internally pipped for 24 hours and were making no progress on the shell and when I made the little holes I could see why, there was no room at all for them to move! I carefully wet the membrane and waited for the blood vessels to recede before assisting so I could be sure of no bleeding and I am now the proud dad of Krispy & Kreme!!

Thank you all for your detailed reply’s to comments, without them I don’t think the ducklings would have made it!

Keep up the great work and happy hatching everyone!!

Hey guys!
After growing up on a farm and hatching/raising ducklings for many years growing up I decided to give it another shot during lockdown!
I wanted to say a huge thank you to all who post on here, your advice has been much needed over the last 4 weeks!
I bought an incredibly basic incubator and didn’t have much confidence that i would be able to hatch anything out of it at all but from 4 eggs there were 2 fertile and I’ve just welcomed the second duckling into the world today!
It wasn’t without its fair share of problems though!
The bator was TINY! It says it could fit 7 chicken eggs but I went with 4 Indian runner eggs and even that was a squeeze!
2 were fertile and I was actually grateful because if 4 had hatched in there at the same time I don’t know what I would have done! The humidity was also very hard to control. If it had no water in it, the humidity would sit around 25-30% and with the slightest bit of water it would shoot to over 80%. I think this is what caused the ducklings to need a little assistance in hatching!
They were both HUGE! I only assisted both after that had internally pipped for 24 hours and were making no progress on the shell and when I made the little holes I could see why, there was no room at all for them to move! I carefully wet the membrane and waited for the blood vessels to recede before assisting so I could be sure of no bleeding and I am now the proud dad of Krispy & Kreme!!

Thank you all for your detailed reply’s to comments, without them I don’t think the ducklings would have made it!

Keep up the great work and happy hatching everyone!!
Welcome to BYC @Louis1990 ! That's a wonderful story. I'm glad you got back into poultry. That incubator sounds quite difficult, good job figuring it out! I love your ducklings names. This is a great, helpful site. I learn lots of new things here too. We're happy you joined us, and I can't wait to watch little Krispy and Kreme grow up! I'm sure you'll take excellent care of them!

Thank you!!
Krispy and I are patiently waiting by the incubator for Kreme to fluff up and be ready to play!!

More pics of Kreme to follow in a few days once she’s caught up on some well deserved rest!

Attachments

• 3F7B62A2-0A68-4F1D-9E86-4AADB0916A8B.jpeg
    3F7B62A2-0A68-4F1D-9E86-4AADB0916A8B.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom