A little update...

Clinkm

Chirping
Apr 12, 2021
MO
Good morning all! It's been a while since I have posted anything on here. Wanted to write a little update.
We've had our ducks since April now. They are a bonded pair, if my kid's hadn't named them Salt&Pepper it eould definitely be Bonnie and Clyde. They are mischievous and so curious. But chicken shits, literally 😂
Wheeew 🥵 It's definitely been a learning curve and some days I feel like ripping my hair out. Partially my fault, we have yet to build some sort of enclosure outside for them, so they indefinitely come in (my house 😶) every evening. They stay to themselves in a 75 gal brooder with a litter system, all you can eat buffet and water.

They free range on our almost acre during the day with a kiddie pool to keep cool. They act like dogs. If they see us drive up they quack welcomes, come when called, love to have pets and snuggles (on their time.)
I'll admit, they are pretty cool animals to care for. But, I'll probably never do it again 😅 I'm saying this as I'm looking at my five year old son's graduation from highschool will be their 18th birthday 🤣🤣🤣

SALT&PEPPER

Attachments

• 20210731_085713.jpg
    20210731_085713.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 6
Yup they are probably the messiest little things. We had our for a little over a year but then unfortunately we had to give outs away because of overmating issues. I mean i missed them but it was definitely a relief not having to clean after them anymore.
Do you know ther genders yet?

Yup they are probably the messiest little things. We had our for a little over a year but then unfortunately we had to give outs away because of overmating issues. I mean i missed them but it was definitely a relief not having to clean after them anymore.
Do you know ther genders yet?
Male and female. Salt is the drake, the pekin. And Miss Princess Pepper is the swedish blue.

Hopefully there’s no overmating issues in the future but I’ve heard pairs sometimes aren’t a problem
They've just started courting behavior. I dont think he's been successful. But if it ever came down to it and it was causing stress to her I'd find them a new home as I'm not capable of retaining any more animals.

They've just started courting behavior. I dont think he's been successful. But if it ever came down to it and it was causing stress to her I'd find them a new home as I'm not capable of retaining any more animals.
You’ll know when he over mates with her you’ll see missing feathers at the back of her head. Although sometimes it can be from them being to rough. You’ll notice her not wanting to be around him and if she stressed she will stop laying eggs

Back
Top Bottom