A lot of chickens are dying

If it is a fig--an unripe fig, I believe, contains toxins--the sap is poisonous.

The figs in my yard are green on the outside and pink on the inside when they are ripe. They are not poisonous. I gave one to my chickens that was split and they loved it and are fine.​

Yay Chicks! :

If it is a fig--an unripe fig, I believe, contains toxins--the sap is poisonous.

The figs in my yard are green on the outside and pink on the inside when they are ripe. They are not poisonous. I gave one to my chickens that was split and they loved it and are fine.​

The speculation was that it was that an unripe fig is poisonous. Don't know that answer, although sap from figs IS irritating. Some varieties of figs have green skin and some purple (when ripe)--just like some apples are red and others green/yellow.​

Quote:
Would they still get mareks if they have had vaccines? The only ones that didn't is the ones I got from a breeder and they are doing fine, and I know her chickens are fine.

No I have not tried a fluss, just give molassas? I'll look up the amount that you mix with water and post.

I will buy one of those tommorow, And I am going to try to do this myself, hubby lost one of his jobs so I can't go to a vet. I have some of my prednisones would that work? What strength? Any chance a vet would give you a prescription without the cost of a visit?

What about the bird that seems to be gasping? She eats drinks and poops normal. She has a slight limp too not really bad cuz she can at least move.

I just edited this, to ask do you think this one has gapeworms? I have no idea how they get it but from what I heard it sounds like this one other then she is limping. I am really getting stressed now, I am squeaky clean with them how would all this stuff be going on? There is an easy test for gapework, take a long swab (feather or q-tip) and gently put it down the throat, twist around and bring back up; if gape worm, you will see small red worms shaped like a Y. Treat with ivermectin or fenbendazole.

Most worms are acquired from eating insects.

Thank you for your help, I have been asking anyone who has birds what to do.

Tracy

Last edited:
Quote:
Would they still get mareks if they have had vaccines? The only ones that didn't is the ones I got from a breeder and they are doing fine, and I know her chickens are fine.

No I have not tried a fluss, just give molassas? I'll look up the amount that you mix with water and post.

I will buy one of those tommorow, And I am going to try to do this myself, hubby lost one of his jobs so I can't go to a vet. I have some of my prednisones would that work? What strength? Any chance a vet would give you a prescription without the cost of a visit?

What about the bird that seems to be gasping? She eats drinks and poops normal. She has a slight limp too not really bad cuz she can at least move.

I just edited this, to ask do you think this one has gapeworms? I have no idea how they get it but from what I heard it sounds like this one other then she is limping. I am really getting stressed now, I am squeaky clean with them how would all this stuff be going on? There is an easy test for gapework, take a long swab (feather or q-tip) and gently put it down the throat, twist around and bring back up; if gape worm, you will see small red worms shaped like a Y. Treat with ivermectin or fenbendazole.

Tracy

What strength? 10 mg If I break it and give a small amount to her? Any chance a vet would give you a prescription without the cost of a visit?[/b] Not any around me, I have tried in the past.

There is an easy test for gapework, take a long swab (feather or q-tip) and gently put it down the throat, twist around and bring back up; if gape worm, you will see small red worms shaped like a Y. Treat with ivermectin or fenbendazole.

How far down do you go. (like the length of a q-tip?) I tried once already got scared and pulled it out. I think my chickens are more brave then I am! lol

Thank you so much for trying to help too!

Tracy

Quote:

Tracy

What strength? 10 mg If I break it and give a small amount to her? Any chance a vet would give you a prescription without the cost of a visit?[/b] Not any around me, I have tried in the past.

There is an easy test for gapework, take a long swab (feather or q-tip) and gently put it down the throat, twist around and bring back up; if gape worm, you will see small red worms shaped like a Y. Treat with ivermectin or fenbendazole.

How far down do you go. (like the length of a q-tip?) I tried once already got scared and pulled it out. I think my chickens are more brave then I am! lol

Tracy

She gasps and shakes her head like the symptoms of gapeworm, the other thing different is her limp.

Tracy

Last edited:
Did you ever get a chance to check out the neighbor lady's yard for a tree with fruit like yo found in your yard? Since she's been complaining about your birds and mystery fruit is chucked into your yard I'd find that very suspect and want to check out her yard. Did you say your birds HAD eaten on the fruit? I can't remember. If it were me and my birds were dropping like yours are I'd be taking one of them to a vet to get checked out before I lost them all. At the very least I'd be calling a vet. I'd be just sick if this was happening to my little flock.
I hope you get t the bottom of this before you lose them all.

Thanks Sonoran Silkies

The only thing the one that is gasping I can't find any worms, do you think she may still have gapeworm and I didn't go far enough. Last night I gave her a mixture of meds and she does seem a little better. I had some worm meds for puppies so I gave her a small dose of that, duramycin-10 and sulmet and one of my antibiotics.

Just curious, my husband also around the same time all this happened decided to keep the food in an outside storage bin, the food has never smelled, (not that I put my nose to it) do you think it went bad? The mid is closed, but I am just trying to think of every possible thing that could be doing this.

And CarolAnn, I looked from my yard, if I go any more I will be in hers and I don't want her to call the cops that I am on her property. The good thing is that I am not having any more dying. Just have my 2 girls that are doing well but for a couple of things. They eat drink and poop just fine!

Thanks everyone for trying!

tamelroy, I'm glad to hear that, and hope the other 2 continue to improve. As far as checking the neighbor's yard, I guess that's the re-con
instinct in me (some might just call it snoopy, hey!) to sneak out there and check things out. Last time I sneaked around my sis and I ended spending the night under an RV while our brother, the ex special forces guy, searched everywhere else for whoever was making farting sounds outside his camper trailer. He never even found our fart machine. Off topic I know, just thought I'd throw in a little levity to bring on some smiles.

Back
Top Bottom