A lot of chicks, what to do.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Yukonchick, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Songster

[​IMG]I think I may run into a bit of a problem. I've got 46 chicks, 12 layers and the rest are meat birds. They're nice and warm in a big cardboard box in the house but i know how fast they grow. I don't think i can handle so many in the house after 2 weeks but being up here in the Yukon, I'm worried about the temperture in the chicken house. How warm should the birds be at about 3 weeks old??[​IMG]I'm thinking I better put the heat lamp in there and keep them in a big wooden box.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    80 - 85 degrees

3. mmktdox

mmktdox Chirping

At three weeks the layers should still need 80 - 85 degress, but I find I can get away with quite a bit less heat on the meat birds. They are little furnaces! If you're chicken coop is somewhat draft free and you can throw a heat lamp in there for them they'll probably be fine. Can you heat the coop at all?

4. Apyl

Apyl Songster

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I'm in Wisconsin and moved my 30 chicks out to the coop at 2 1/2 weeks old. I did give them the heat lamp outside since it was still freezing at night at times.

5. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Songster

We do have a couple of heaters and the brooder lamp. Its been a miserable spring up here this year. Its only 12 celsius today. [​IMG][​IMG]

6. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Songster

Might as well stay inside today and play with my camera. Heres a pic of one of my layers and a meat bird. Can you guess what breeds they are?[​IMG][​IMG]

7. Yukonchick

Yukonchick Songster

Well if yours are surviving with just the heat lamp then mine should be ok too. Its not freezing at night but it is unpredictable up here in the land of the midnight sun.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: