A Major Brag!!

Tomorrow Gracie and I will be attending a Conformation fun match for the first time.

I will be showing her, and also Milton as a tune up for him, since I will have him out for real in a couple weeks.

Updates on Ruger's success will be delayed, as I likely won't be back until on up into the afternoon.

Wish us luck!

Have fun at the puppy fun match. There is something wonderful about getting the new babies ready for the shows! OH YEA! congrats on the win ... so close. I hate the frustration that comes from the broken points. Oh well, think of it as 2 insurance points!
Best of luck with the baby.

Can you explain the dog show circiut to us a little bit. How far woul dhe have to go to compete with some of the best in the country, and all that stuff. I only know rabbit shows. Where you can automatically compete with the best, and do well depending on how the judge places the bunny.

Rabbit shows and dog shows are very similar and again very different.

With rabbit shows a breeder/shower may make the decision on who they are showing and where they are going up to the day of the show (if you are close enough). That day you decided who you are taking and fill out the proper blanks. The morning of the show you make the entry(s) and wait to be called. Entries can range from 2.5 - 5 a rabbit. The judge then gives you a verbal opionion of your animal and you part ways ... hopefully waiting for best 4 or 6 class. And then home we go.

Dog shows ... the decision on who is shown is made weeks in advance. Enties are in to most superentendents the Wednesday 2 1/2 weeks out (or more) from the date of the show. Entries now (back when I started they were, on the average, 5-7 each) range from 27-40 a dog per class. One week prior to the show we receive the information for the show as to what breeds are shown when and in what order. On the average, a judge is required to evaluate between 27-32 dogs an hour. With the only indication of what they think is in the "pointing" or placment. We do not get a verbal evaluation. At the end of the day we have groups and to BIS.

Dog shows and rabbits shows are similar in that they both offer specialties for the breeds. These, like rabbits, can be held in conjunction with the all-breed show or separate. All breeds have national shows (where many of your top animals get together). There are also several National all-breed shows ... most of which are heavily televised and which most people are familiar with (Westmenster in the spring, Eukanuba in the fall, Chicagoland, etc.) many of these are by invite or partial invite only.

As for strong, top competition. It is all over. The "sport of Kings" is an intense world. Great breeders can be found in every state in this country. Top that with the "game" of it ... politics, advertising, grooming styles, personal conflicts. It is a world all its own.

Where we really differ (outside of the entry system and $$) is the point scale for getting your championship. Rabbits are required 3 legs (1 has to be as a senior, beating 5 animals with 3 breeders in competition). Dogs ... cannot be explained that easily. The AKC has broken the country into regions. Within each region the point scale can be different for each breed of dog and each sex within that particular breed. These numbers are updated each year by the AKC and can go up or down depending the statistics of the region. We cannot get points for simply winning a strong class ... don't we all wish that! The only animals that have the possibility of getting points are the Winners Dog or Winners grump. And then that is not even guaranteed.

Dog Circuit. All depends on where you live. In Ohio the summer circuit is amazing. From March - October a dog show can be found within a reasonable distance each weekend. Reasonable distance ... anything under 8-9 hours travel time. But most are within 4-5. When we look a the Ohio circuit, we consider Ohio, PA, NY, KY, MI, IN, IL, WV, and Canada. But, as I stated, each region has it's own circuit and set of shows. Yes we do travel some distance. I've been known to do a "weekender" to GA! Just a mere 14 hours down and back...

This is really a simplified explanation. It is so much more than presented, but hopefully I have covered all the questions. If not, please ask ...

Signed ... a second-generation professional dog handler who has been showing for over 37 years ... and who also loves Angora rabbits! It's all about the grooming!

Last edited:
We had great fun at the match today, and it is quite clear that Grace is an exceptional puppy. She took BOB puppy over older exhibits, and then second in the Working Group.

The judge told me that "this is an amazing puppy". Others ringside stated: "Unbelievable sidegait"...."Can't believe her ATTITUDE!"...."You are going to KILL 'em with this puppy"

Owner of the sire was there, and said, Unbelievable side gait, down and back, topline, bone, ring presence.

Needless to say I am grinning from ear to ear. Add that to this: Another dog I bred, CH Redyre Choice v Eternal Moon, CGC went BOB/Gr2 yesterday in Brooksville FL, and won the Breed again today. Have not heard what happened in the Group.

big_smile.png

I was always wondering about the televised shows. thanks for clearing that up! I knew westminister was invite only. But wasn't sure about all the animal planet ones.

Great weather for a dog show... It must have been good weather just for you!!! Nice pooch... I could give him a smooch... Good job... It is a hard job to get a dog that far... And welcome to Oregon!!!

Geebs

Back
Top Bottom