A man should know his limits

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Every growing thing that my late MIL planted on this farm is of monstrous size. The hibiscus bush is well over 9 ft. tall and 6 ft. wide and has created volunteers everywhere. The gardenia bush that she planted up at the cemetary is at least 6 ft. tall. Then there's the forsythia (yellow bell) bush in the backyard. It takes up an entire corner of the yard, at least 6 ft. x 6 ft.

Of these plants, DH has an intense dislike of the forsythia bush, I dunno why.
hu.gif
Every fall DH gets out there with a weedeater, an ax and a shovel and attempts to kill the thing. This past fall I thought he'd give himself a heart attack with his attempts at planticide.

I was just out in that part of the yard. Ummm honey, your yellow bell is blooming.
gig.gif

Quote:
I keep meaning to go up there and take a clipping off of it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I tried sprouting some seeds from the magnolia tree up at the old homestead, but the GS decided to play in the dirt it was in one day
somad.gif
Then I realized I wouldn't be alive to see it bloom anyhow, so....

Quote:
I keep meaning to go up there and take a clipping off of it, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I tried sprouting some seeds from the magnolia tree up at the old homestead, but the GS decided to play in the dirt it was in one day
somad.gif

Those are beautiful bushes when manicured!! I've been whining for a gardenia tree forever but we are just too cold to have them grow:-(
How long does it take for a magnolia tree to bloom or sprout???

Last edited:
Quote:
My MIL and FIL have a forsythia next to the house. I don't know- maybe it's gone b/c my FIL was threatening to chop it down. What is it with men and forsythias?

I have one too in the front yard. It is impossible to control. I hit my face with it every time I mow the grass.

The forsythia outside the side door at my house is threatening to take over the world! Danged thing was- literally- two skinny sticks when we planted it years ago, and now, no matter how much I cut it back every year, it just keeps growing and growing... But it is pretty when it blooms.

Quote:

somad.gif

Those are beuatufll bushes when manicured!! I've been whining for a gardenia tree forever but we are just too cold to have them grow:-(
How long does it take for a magnolia tree to bloom or sprout???

I've read anywhere from 30 to 50 years for a magnolia tree to get to maturity. The one up at the old homestead is at least 50 years old. It is magnificent when it blooms.

I didn't believe either hibiscus or gardenias would grow here given our winters, but both of these thrive. I'll have to get a pic of the hibiscus in full bloom. Beautiful thing.

I love Forsythia!!! I don't like when they are cut in a round shape or a squared-off hedge, but how when wild they have stems poking here, there, everywhere. I dunno, Forsythia to me means spring is FINALLY here!!!
wee.gif

Saw the first daffodils of the year the other day while out driving with the DH.
celebrate.gif

Foolish woman talk...

Let it be known that men--real men-- have no limitations. Men
will forever rule the world. When we reach for the sky, we will
surely drag it home. Now, it may be up to the woman to put our
sky away, and take care of it while we move on to greater quest.
But men have reached for the sky. Sadly, according to Al Gore, this
is the leading cause of the black holes we now have.

Nobody ever heard of a woman king, did they? It's a man's world...

On a more serious note, I have some most excellent news for your
husband on how to totally remove the offending forsythia bush from
the yard. I saw this very problem on a recent Red Green show. Worked
great for him.

First, removal of the offending bush will require a trip to town to find the
proper tools. Must rent a dump truck, a backhoe and get a few sticks of
dynamite. Wait...better make that several sticks of dynamite. He may decide
to remove a few other shrubs while he's at it. And you might as well have
him get two dump trucks. Once his buddys see these neat tools in the drive
way, and see a few things blown up, they'll certainly want to help.
(It's a man-thing)

I promise this will work. The wife and I had a gopher in the yard last year.
But I got him. Only took six sticks.

That Red Green is an awesome handy-man!

Oh, and I personally recommend that after the forsythia bush is completely
removed, your husband return to the big-store-where-real-tools-are, and rent
a medium size bulldozer. I found it pretty handy for filling the holes in the yard back
up.

Well, that should do it for removing the forsythia bush.

I'm sure that there's a few more men on here and they may even have a few
more great ideals on lawn-care.

the forsythia seems to be most common flowering bush to cause allergies. the state used to plant them up and down the hwy's here, they have been removing and planting other bushes these days as they do hwy repairs. maybe him and all his co-workers have allergies.

Back
Top Bottom