A math question I need help with

Quote:
I know!
big_smile.png
I thought it was funny! We're gonna turn this farm yard into a KFC factory lot!
lau.gif

120 heads and 314 legs, BUT

5 horses have 3 heads
16 chickens and 2 heads
2 horses are 3 legged
1 horse have 5 legs
20 chickens are 3 legged

lau.gif

I say the answer is friend chicken!
lol.png

Quote:
Aren't combs a delicacy in some countries? DH watches too much Bizarre Foods and wants to try a lot of it! I thick chickens heads and deep fried combs were an appetizer.
hmm.png

Quote:
Because you have XYZ, you need a third formula...one for each variable. Otherwise, it makes it unsolvable...or difficult at the minimum (depending on information given).

Instead of X + 2 = 6 - X; you get X + Y + 2 = 6 - X - Y. You can't get a solid X=2 answer out of that since it will solve as X = Y + 1. How would you know what X and Y were?

There are only two ways to know these unknowns for certain:

a. look at WhiteWingedDove's test paper and count the drawings.

b. drive out to said farm and count the critters.

or

c. order the family bucket.

Quote:
No.

Sadly/Happily, I do not. But hey, now I do. Ask me again in a couple hours and I might say yes.

WWD, do you remember the time a lady found a chicken head on her chicken?

Quote:
No.

Sadly/Happily, I do not. But hey, now I do. Ask me again in a couple hours and I might say yes.

WWD, do you remember the time a lady found a chicken head on her chicken?

Why yes, oddly enough I do remember hearing of that somewhere...

I use basic algebra and geometry all the time. Sometimes I wish in school they would really drill in the more commonly used stuff and loosen up on the less frequently used. Not to take this thread too off topic, but an example:

I don't think any school should have been teaching cursive after 1990 (maybe not even after 1980) but every school should have had 2 years of personal finance, investing, budgeting, and retirement planning required for every graduating student. Imagine if all that time spend learning to make a cursive G and R would have been allocated to basic budgeting and retirement planning.
roll.png

Ok, back on topic: I love applicable algebra stuff like this. It seems stupid when you're a kid, but then you start to run into real world uses and it's like "oh... cool, I can find the answer to this question!"

Quote:
Speak for yourself.

Hand me another sheet of paper, please. I have more cows to draw.

Is it wrong if I draw stick horses? Do I only get half credit that way?

Back
Top Bottom