A Matter of Life or Death, Pullet or Roo?

Just keep in mind that he is going to suffer a long, slow miserable death of starvation if you dont take matters in your own hands. Unfortunately culling is a very unpleasant but very necessary part of raising birds...especially if you are going to hatch your own. Sooner or later you are going to end up with a bird that has to be culled.

The first time or two is very hard but trust me it gets a lot easier...especially in a situation such as yours.

Good luck! You are certainly in the right place to find people who can help you through it.

Well, his crop is full again tonight
hmm.png
. I told myself I'll let him be until he goes to sleep with an empty/close to empty crop.

Ugh, I know it's gonna happen eventually, but I really don't want to have to deal with it for as long as possible. He's not suffering yet....

Anyway, when it does happen, you guys will be the first to know about it ;_;

I feel for you. We had to cull our lovely, Evy, 6 week old Houdan because of her crossbeak. It was the hardest decision to make, even though it was in her best interest.

Glad to hear he/she ate but with the beak being that severe, it's just a matter of time.

So sorry you're having to go through this.
hugs.gif

My OH has a friend who breeds, butchers and sells meats. I brought up the difficult topic of what to do if we can't rehome and roos we get, last night. I said there's no way I could do the deed, and I wouldn't want him to (the garden is so small, the others would hear and smell death - NO). I asked if he knew any butchers as I thought maybe a butcher is used to that sort of task. That's when he mentioned the sheep farmers he knows. It's a HUGE weight off my shoulders. It's probably worth having a POA, even if your little roo sticks around for a while longer :)

Interesting to know about the tongue, though. I'd probably be REALLY annoying and constantly squirt him in the face with a mister LOL. He'd hate me!
smack.gif

Yeah I have a friend who's family raises chickens as well as hunts, and I'm wondering if he would do it for me...but we'll cross that bridge once it gets here.

So I moved the little one in with the two cockerels from the same brood. After the (7 week old cockerels) did their little scream/crows this morning, one of them went up to cross beak and grabbed the feathers on the back of his neck. He's done this one other time with a pullet in the group and looked like he was practicing mounting. Does this mean anything?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom