A meat bird got mixed in? Help!

mollymadethis

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 7, 2009
I got 6 Aracaunas, one is yellow, now white and about four times larger than the rest of brownish ones. I told my feed store where I got them and they think I got a "broiler" mixed in by mistake. It looks like a rooster and ALL it does is lie there and eat. IT LOOKS TO WEIGH 4 LBS OR SO.

Should I give it away now? It is very pushy with the others? Should it be separated?? I know I can't eat it, named it Large Marge, before I knew. HELP!
hmm.png
hmm.png

yuckyuck.gif
Large Marge...I've got to steal that name for one of my girls. What i would do is see if your feed store will take him/her in and maybe they can find a home for her. There are alot of people that go through the feed store that wouldnt mind having Large Marge. Most anything that is Free goes pretty quick.

So, do you think I should do this in a hurry? My first venture into chickendom! Clueless...

You could try to sell it on Craigslist. They dont go for much though as they are for meet. Its not a good Idea to let them get to laying age. They are not made for that.

From what I have read on meat chickens it won't live very long anyway. It's heart will give out pretty quick. They aren't built for anything other than a tasty dinner.

Quote:
I was in our local feed store the other day and someone came in that wanted a rooster and asked if they knew anyone who wanted to get rid of one. Sounds like the feed store is good advice.

Restrict her feed to 12hrs a day so it doesn't over eat, don't do this with the others.
Being that LM is about 4wks old and meaties get processed at 6-10wks.
There's some good suggestions on how to rehome LM.

In the event that you can't find a new home for LM. Is it "doing the deed" or the eating part that you can't do?

BTW please add your location to your profile.
Knowing your location can help us help you with things like this.

Back
Top Bottom