A missing RIR hen and her 15 surprises!!!!!

Quote:
Great story! I have seen that a broody hen goes without food & water, so it is amazing that so many eggs were hatched. Do you think some of the other hens may have contributed to her collection of eggs? Our hens lay everyday during the spring/summer & every other day during the fall/winter.

I've had very calm RIR before; however now I have 4 RIR roos! Talk about aggressive behavior..they were supposed to be all girls...looks like the hatchery should fire the inspector... lol. I had a very broody Buff Orph last year, but since we didn't have any roos..her eggs were not fertile (not that she understood that!). So I have witnessed aggressive behavior trying to collect eggs from a usually calm hen.

I was under the impression that RIR's don't brood too often. When I had a rooster, my hens showed no signs of being broody; they'd lay the eggs and go about their chicken business.

Aww....what a good Mama!
smile.png

Lucky you, how wonderful!!!!!!!!!! No kidding, RIRs are not known to be broody ... but you and my friend sure did beat the odds...hers hatched 5 chicks../... It is so great to have a broody in the flock...mine is a little fizzle, tinest thing she is....but mean as can be when she has chicks, my other broody was killed by a predator,, I think she was protecting her little gang 8 chicks, she was a game hen and they are good at raising chicks so I have 3 more just growing up...I don't care who does it but Please let me have some broodys...Ha...Good luck , it will be interesting to see how she brings them in the flock when its time..keep us posted on the progress and pics, pics, pics.....Glenda

Back
Top Bottom