A month of bumble feet

catiedfranklin

Chirping
Feb 12, 2021
Hi y’all I’m discouraged tonight. I’ve been patiently treated my Road Island Red for sores on both feet. Soaking in Epson Salts, applying Prid,and Neosporan, wrapping feet etc. I thought I had a handle on it and had made progress as both scabs with plugs came off , but today I changed her wraps and both bumps are red and warm again. With small scabs, not as large as before. 🥺☹️ should I go ahead and get a vet involved and get antibiotics? I think I know the answer just need advice. Thanks!

Hi y’all I’m discouraged tonight. I’ve been patiently treated my Road Island Red for sores on both feet. Soaking in Epson Salts, applying Prid,and Neosporan, wrapping feet etc. I thought I had a handle on it and had made progress as both scabs with plugs came off , but today I changed her wraps and both bumps are red and warm again. With small scabs, not as large as before. 🥺☹️ should I go ahead and get a vet involved and get antibiotics? I think I know the answer just need advice. Thanks!
You have to squeeze the heck out of the footpad to remove all of the infection. Dig around inside the hole with tweezers and squeeze as hard as you can despite the blood. Soak up the blood with paper towels and continue squeezing.
Once the infection is removed, flush the hole(s) with betadine, pat dry and fill the hole(s) with Neosporin. Then apply gauze with Neosporin on it and cover up the hole and wrap it up with vet wrap or duct tape.
Wait 4 days before removing the wrapping. The holes should be just about healed up. Then apply betadine, then Neosporin and re-wrap with vet wrap or duct tape. Wait several days to remove everything and the footpads will be completely healed.

If you dont want to do the above procedure, consider using Tricide Neo. Here's a link:
See post #2 in this link:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-bumblefoot-with-tricide-neo.513183/

Here's where you can purchase Tricide Neo:
https://www.koiacres.com/p/tricide-neo.html

How long ago did you remove the plugs? I agree pictures would be helpful. Depending on what the scab looks like and how long ago you pulled the plug it might just be part of the healing process. If removing the plug left any sort of hole scabbing is usually the skin just repairing itself and filling the hole.

One looks ok the other I think I need to start all over. Poor girl ☹️

Attachments

• BEBE3F46-09CE-40A5-81D8-ABED9AF32AE7.jpeg
    BEBE3F46-09CE-40A5-81D8-ABED9AF32AE7.jpeg
    368.8 KB · Views: 3
  • B3B2AF56-85D0-4D8A-B439-A307EB62A5A3.jpeg
    B3B2AF56-85D0-4D8A-B439-A307EB62A5A3.jpeg
    439 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom