flagyl for bumble foot

DeeAnn5

Songster
10 Years
Sep 2, 2013
NW Missouri
Americauna hen with bumble foot, I've been soaking it in Epsom, applying TAB and wrapping it about every 10 days. The swelling hasn't gone down and there is a black scab on the bottom of her foot. I found some leftover flagyl labeled Metronidazole which had been prescribed for my dog. I have a gram scale and I believe the dosage is 50mg/day per kg hen. I'm guessing my tiny hen probably weighs about 1.3 kg, so planning to give 65 mg per day for 5 days to reduce the swelling, I don't think I'm going to pull the kernel out, though I've watched some videos and know how to do it. Is this going to work?

My chickens had bumblefoot before and I never had to pull the scab off.

Hello, @DeeAnn5! I'm sorry to hear that your hen isn't doing well. :hugs While I'm certainly not an expert, I did a little research on metronidazole, and discovered that it's not particularly effective against aerobic bacteria, and from what I know, in bumblefoot, the bacteria is usually aerobic (for example, Staphylococcus aureus). Because of that, I'm not sure if the flagyl will be the best option for treating your sweet girl in getting rid of the infection, especially when it's still swollen/has a kernel.
I think the best course of action would probably be to go in and remove the scab, which will get all the bacteria out and promote healing. Again, though, I'm not an expert. Maybe @Eggcessive or @azygous could offer their insight?
Praying that your hen gets better! ❤️

Oh gosh thank you so much! I won't use the flagyl. I'm going to start tonight with the daily soaks. I have a Magnesium sulfate paste I bought for a different chicken a few years ago, so I'm going to apply that and wrap a few days to try and soften, then remove the kernel...I know how to keep it clean/wrapped/TAB etc. after removing the kernel.

Another question though, and I did already watch one video recently on how to treat bumblefoot by removing the kernel, when do I apply the BlueKote?

Instead of BluKote which is for minor scrapes, I would use an antibiotic ointment and 2x2 dressing when the kernel is removed. Prid ointment is also good for using to as a drawing salve for bumblefoot. Sugardine (a combo of Betadine and sugar made into a ) is another good thing to use.

Instead of BluKote which is for minor scrapes, I would use an antibiotic ointment and 2x2 dressing when the kernel is removed. Prid ointment is also good for using to as a drawing salve for bumblefoot. Sugardine (a combo of Betadine and sugar made into a ) is another good thing to use.
Great! Gosh thank you!! I started again last night with the soak/Mg sufate paste and clean bandage. Being in molt seems to make her miserable and I try to minimize handling but we need to move toward a resolution with this bumble foot...The kernel is black and looks like it should be ready to be removed within a few days.

Victory!! You all were SO right!! I removed the kernel tonight, it did not even bleed, there was no discharge. I wore the plastic gloves, etc. It just left a giant hole in her foot, I packed it with Bacitrin and wrapped it up so nicely. Louie was a good patient. I can't believe that was in her foot. I had no idea. @Starburst @Eggcessive @azygous

Back
Top Bottom