A MUST READ-if wanting to relocate coons

effie

Songster
8 Years
Mar 5, 2011
West(by god) Virginia
Just got off the phone with my sister in law-she read where I was having coon problems. She said last summer she and my nephew were trapping them in her yard (eating her birdfood and she has chickens) and letting them out several miles away. She kept telling him it was the same coon and he said "no way". So, she spray painted an orange spot on his back that night when they caught him and took him almost 10 miles away. He was back that week!!!!! I guess they can have a ten mile range they will travel. Another good reason for me to get rid of them altogether--just thought I would pass this along as I found it very interesting.

Quote:
I used pink paint it is easy to see from a distance a stripe right down the middle of the back a friend of mine could not believe what you have discovered. I relocate them here to the Canadian fur auctions
smile.png

yeah, i can tell you for a fact, that you have to take them a long ways or they will beat you home. i ended giving mine to some coon hunters to train pups with, after making them swear they would turn them loose, and not kill them after it was treed. of course, this club was in the next county, and it had been ran by pups, so it was in a new world. i grew up around coon hunters, so i knew they had to be relocated a long ways from their old habitat.

If you contact the USFWS you will find out that raccoons are considered a pest, and therefore are not allowed to be trapped and moved from the property. I trapped one and when I called USFWS they told me I had 2 options 1) release it on my property 2) destroy it on my property, they further instructed me if a F&W officer caught me relocating a raccoon I could be ticketed. I took option number 2.

Back
Top Bottom