A mysterious white egg! (We only have brown & blue egg layers)

WasabiChicki

Songster
9 Years
May 11, 2010
Northern California
Is it possible for a blue egg laying Ameracauna to all of a sudden lay a pure white egg? (She is 8 months old)
Or for what reason could my brown egg laying girls have a white egg??
I have had layers for 3 years, always brown & blue... Where the heck did this white egg come from?!

It had a hard shell & beautiful dark yoke, delicious too!

(I had cracked it open before I took the pic, so it may look a little smooshed.)

WHITE EGG #2!!???
Just went & gathered todays eggs: another white one! (and 1 blue, 5 brown... 7 total from 9 layers)
Heres the scoop:
I have 4 BR laying brown eggs, all 8 months old
I have 4 RIR laying brown eggs, 3 @ 8 months & 1 @ 3 years
I also have one Ameracauna laying beautiful blue eggs; she's 8 months old

What's the inside membrane like? I THINK (I'm hoping an expert will correct me if I'm wrong) If its blue, the ameraucana laid it. If it's white, a brown egg layer laid it.

That's true only if the ameraucana is a true breed, not an Easter egger/hatchery ameraucana.

Either way, someone forgot the paint job. I'm subscribing so please post if it happens again. :)

Last edited:
Unless my Ameracauna (from a farm, not hatchery?) is laying two a day, which actually I think she is,
It has to be a brown layer. That means I still only have 6 of my 7 brown layers laying.
Did that make sense?
There was a blue one & a white one today, my son said there were two blue on Friday. (We collect every day.)
Is that common??

I love that every day is an adventure w/ chickens!
wee.gif

Last edited:
I guess another way to tell is to crack open one of the blue eggs and check the membrane color. Let me know when you crack one open to eat it. :D. If its white, I have no idea. Heheh.

And, yes, every day is an adventure wuth these birds.

Last edited:
I was given a chicken that looked like a barred rock, later to find out that Coastal Farm Supply sell California greys, which lay white eggs. I think they are a cross between a a barred rock and leghorn--BUT she's been laying white all along.

Maybe if you check the earlobes of the BR's and RIR"S
red lobes=brown eggs
white lobes= white eggs
{ but I read that this method doesn't work for the Ameracauna/ EE}

And coming from a farm? mix breed somewhere??

My experience with Americanas is they always lay the blue/green eggs that gradually get very pale after a long stretch of laying. I have never seen anything but a white inner lining. No tan or bluish.

Back
Top Bottom