A neighbor/acquaintance came over this evening...(a bit long)

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
I shall first set the stage for you....I live on 2.5 acres most of which is in the side of a mountain and steeply inclined. I am outside working on my garden beds trying to beat the snow that was coming and a neighbor and her husband pull up for a visit. wonderful...*cringing*. They are an okay couple (up to that point anyway) a bit snooty but I was not in the frame of mind for unannounced visitors. Soooo, I stop what I am doing and invite them inside for coffee...this is where the excitement starts...

My 6 girls are just 8 days old and I am still tuned in to every noise they make ... okay I am still a nervous first-time chick mom...and one of the girls starts making a loud squeal...so I jump up and excuse myself as I am trotting to the master bathroom. I find my little SLW raising a ruckus while standing at the side of the brooder jumping and flapping. So, I reach in and pick her up and she immediately stops the fuss. That was all she wanted...attention. So, I perch her on my shoulder where she loves to sit and I walk back to the livingroom. I did not mention her and they did not notice her.

The conversation continues, Speckles is playing with my hair and looking around and suddenly the woman says rather loudly "OH MY GOD you have a chicken in your hair!" My first instinct was to give her the ole' 'No Kidding Sherlock" *smirk* but I said "yes, this is Speckles and she is a bit spoiled".

This woman jumps up, grabs her husband's arm and says "We have to go NOW!" So I asked her "Why she was leaving in such in a hurry as it was only a baby and not about to attack her or anything" and she says....

"Chickens are nasty creatures, mean, cannibals and disgusting." and followed that stupidity by saying "If I had known you kept such vile creatures and actually liked them, I would have never came near here."

Well now I am hacked because she had the nerve to show up uninvited, unannounced and sit in my home and insult me by being a .... BUT I kept my cool and tried to blow it off by saying... "chickens are very nice pets, great gardners, produce eggs and are not rabid killers"...
lol.png

This woman says..."it may be a baby now but it will grow up to be a stupid disgusting cannibal that attacks small children and anyone who comes here"
angryfire.gif

So I lost it and told her that I would rather have my chickens, train them to attack fools like her and post warning signs up saying 'beware of killer chicken' than to spend one more second in her company. Then I graciously pointed to the door and gave her the doorknob warning.

Can someone tell me where these idiots come from? What scares me is that they reproduce, they drive and they VOTE!

angryfire.gif

Vent over....had to get it off my chest...it was bothering me so much I could not sleep! Poor Speckles sitting there and being startled by a raving lunatic in denim and an ugly sweater!

Oh here is a picture of the killer chicken that she was referring to....

HPIM2337Small.jpg

Last edited:
The nerve of some people!! I think your response was very appropriate, and you shouldn't have to worry about them coming around again. Hopefully, since they are neighbors, your zoning/livestock regulations won't allow them to try to make you get rid of them.

Obviously she was traumatized by an attack rooster as a child...

There are a lot of stupid people in this world. What was her husband saying / doing during all this?

Win-Win situation. You got chicks and got rid of neighbors you don't care for. Sounds like you had a lucky day. Did you go buy lotto tickets after they left??
smile.png

That is the kind of ignorance that is hard to overcome. It is really sad how far removed 'civilized people' are from their food source. I bet she buys her dozen white eggs every week and hasn't given a thought to the fact they come out of a chicken's butt. LOL

Maybe she was flogged by a rooster when she was a child and is truly scared of them. My sister is really afraid of any kind of birds, and especially chickens. If she became acquainted with your cuddly chickens gradually and learned that they aren't the demons she believes them to be, you could win her over. That being said, she was pretty over the top and your reaction was justified. IMHO

Susan

I would so make a sign out front.......... KILLER CHICKENS.......
big_smile.png

It is too bad so many people are so misinformed isn't it......
I have been fortunate to have only good reactions if any to my pet chicken on my shoulder....... I would rather kiss my chicken than my dog............you know where THEY put their mouth?
ep.gif

MissPrissy....actually she buys brown chicken eggs from an organic place. LOL Maybe next time I see her I shall explain, in detail, where the eggs she eats come from. *smirk*

We are 8 miles from the city limits and I could put a horse in the yard or a buffalo for that matter.

Her husband was standing there nodding and looking HEN PECKED
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

My daughter (almost 12 yrs old) was openly laughing at her...and the woman said to her "I have seen videos onTV of chickens attacking people...you better watch yourself when they grow up" Cheyenne laughed and walked into her room.

I have already told Husband that I will have a warning sign staked outside their coop that clearly warns of my attack/killer chickens and maybe one at the edge of the driveway too. hahahahahaha

Quote:
I think you are right...maybe oatmeal in the morning. See what she thinks about that stuff. LOL She looks like she is going to grow up to be a true killer doesn't she? I mean look at that stare...and that beak! *snicker*

Specklessmall.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom