a new kind of filter for your little duckies that will work...

kevinb41

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 7, 2013
ok I would like to introduce myself to this site. I am new here and would like to say hi and let everyone know i have a new way to keep you duck pond clean.... I have 2 pekins ducks and i have had them since easter. i dug the little guys a whole to put a koi pond liner in and then would fill it up with water only to relize that 2 days later it would be nasty so i would empty it about every other day and it got to be to much for me to do. So to make a long story short. Approximately a week ago today i found on the internet a way to keep the pond water clear... i have a koi pond pump and the big filter that goes with it. so after careful research i am going to share it with you. all you have to do is use scratch pads the thin ones and scouring pads the plastic round ones that look like a s o s pad... now put the scouring pads in the bottom and the scratch pads on top of them and this will keep your water clearer longer. I hope this will help all the duck owners out there. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me...
thank you

ok I would like to introduce myself to this site. I am new here and would like to say hi and let everyone know i have a new way to keep you duck pond clean.... I have 2 pekins ducks and i have had them since easter. i dug the little guys a whole to put a koi pond liner in and then would fill it up with water only to relize that 2 days later it would be nasty so i would empty it about every other day and it got to be to much for me to do. So to make a long story short. Approximately a week ago today i found on the internet a way to keep the pond water clear... i have a koi pond pump and the big filter that goes with it. so after careful research i am going to share it with you. all you have to do is use scratch pads the thin ones and scouring pads the plastic round ones that look like a s o s pad... now put the scouring pads in the bottom and the scratch pads on top of them and this will keep your water clearer longer. I hope this will help all the duck owners out there. If you have any questions please feel free to ask me...
thank you
welcome-byc.gif
and thank you so much for the info, trying to keep the swimming pools and ponds clean and healthy is probably the hardest part of keeping ducks or water fowl in general, any help we can get is much appreciated.

Huh. Neat! I know koi are filthy fish, so I guess it makes sense that a slightly modded koi pond filter would help with filthy ducks. :p

Does it agitate the water or make any noise? And how often do you have to clean it out?

ok here is the answer to the questions.

1 those scratch pads i bought at the dollar tree. i bought about 15 pack of them they are the thin ones and the scouring pads there were 6 in a pack of them and they were green, red, and blue. and it has been a week now and the only thing i have really had to do to it was clesn the gunk off from a few of the scratch pads that were close to the water return. and if you have a koi pump that is submerged in the water they is no noise except for the water that is being returned to the pond it is very relaxing. i will try to post some pics for you to see what i am talkin about....

Yes, please do! My HOA won't allow me to build a pond (seriously guys, don't EVER buy property that has a HOA whatever you do) but I want my little duckie to have a place to swim so I want to set up a small, but nice little water box out on the front porch with some lillies and perhaps a goldfish or two for him to snack on.

Look Up skippy pond filter almost the same premise I built and used three of them on way over stocked koi ponds
Kept them crystal clear and clean. I didn't have ducks but twenty 30+ inch fish make one heck of a mess.

There's a lot of topics on pond filters for ducks around the forum. The best one I've found is:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/146829/the-duck-ponics-experiment-raising-minnows

I
t's got information, pictures, and does a really great job of tying together a bunch of information in one place. If you're still looking for ideas (anyone interested in this), I would head there for the best way to approach duck ponds with bio filters (which is what the original poster is essentially getting at with his/her setup).

Here are a few other great links I've used to research this as well:
http://www.skippysstuff.com/biofiltr.htm (mentioned in the post above this one)
(good tutorial on how to set one up)

the way you hook it up the hoa can not say anything about it. you don't dig anything you just put the swimming pool or pond on top of the ground and then hook up you filter and put the scratch pads in it and that is all there is to it. it will last about a week and a half. I am still tryin to find a permanant solution to it.

the way you hook it up the hoa can not say anything about it. you don't dig anything you just put the swimming pool or pond on top of the ground and then hook up you filter and put the scratch pads in it and that is all there is to it. it will last about a week and a half. I am still tryin to find a permanant solution to it.

That's just it, I can't have a kiddie pool just sitting there in open view. These are the same people that fined me for having a hummingbird feeder. A HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER! So I doubt a kiddie pool is going to go over well. :p

I did get lots of amazing ideas from the community in another thread on how to build a nice-looking water box garden that I can clandestinely use as my duckie pond, though.

Back
Top Bottom