A new Secessionist movement?

I was thinking more about here in Oregon that the counties that have made policies that effect the livability of that county and then they reap the unintended consequences of the policies and then expect the whole state to help pay for the problem they created. I think these types of situations are what leads to secession movements.

Try having to live with Atlanta running your state....
hmm.png

We had a similar county split issue a few years back. Pretty much back by political party lines (pro or against).

However when the actual income vs costs were laid out, it became clear that the part of the county that wanted freedom from the rest (where they felt their political agenda and spending were against their party lines and property use objectives) They discovered that they would not save money and in fact taxes would have to increase in order to pay for less than they already had.

Suddenly the split was not pushed or recommended.

The problem with the entire state splitting is similar, one section supports the other and yet the other wants to split off...... until they hear what their tax bill will be or what services they will loose.

I would love for this to magically happen, I agree with what they are saying, I've lived in Orange county all my life and I see so much crud going on here that I can't control with my vote because I am outnumbered... it should go deeper than political partylines though.
But this split won't happen...Northern California needs our revinue, they would take this to the supreme court and we likely would have more taxes and so on... taxes I would be happy to pay if my vote would count again... is there a picture of the divided territory? sounds like it would be very patchy. I really think California's size works against us all, and I really think what Brown just did in internet sales tax-though having a good intention of shutting down loopholes-just screwed over a whole bunch of califorian small businesses (Amazon.com just simply dropped all its Californian affiliates so it wouldn't have to deal with our sales tax...more jobs gone, more businesses will move).
I wish I could relive my reagan years this time with political understanding-what a wealth of success he brought.

If this gets some steam, I'll bandwagon along just to show everyone how tired we are of being opressed.

Quote:
That may not be the case here, since part of the suggested sucession is San Bernardino County, the largest county in the nation. Our county provides ALOT of the states revenue. I think the issue is that conservatives in this state never, ever, have a vote go their way because we are outnumbered. Therefore, conversatives remain unhappy with state government. It's been that way since Reagan left the governors mansion.

The Sales Tax drop caught me off guard.

I guess a bad time to stop collecting that extra 1%

And I do feel for the people that got extra $$ by having Amazon links on their web pages, I know that will effect a few of my friends and probably a few favorite websites.

On the other hand, encouraging people to buy locally rather than via Amazon to avoid the sales tax is a plus to our state. I under stand why Amazon hates it, a lot of people lookie-loo locally and buy on line to avoid the tax.

My dad was a big time Ronny fan, was friends with the ranch manager just up the road from us. I never forgave him for deciding to change a SSI law retro actively and handed a struggling college student a big bill to pay. I had to drop out and work extra hours and jobs and never was able to go back to school full time. I know what trickled down on me! Glad it worked out for you.

The idea of splitting California in two is not new. It surfaces every few years. The talking heads and the politicians have a field day with it for a while and then they all move on to other things. If memory serves, the last time it came up northern California wanted to secede from southern California over a water dispute.

Back
Top Bottom