A new Serama-sized game bantam

Pics
932918E9-B2E9-4A06-8F46-D7328EE97DE1.jpeg
AA8A9FA8-B7B5-49D8-B6CA-107D3E796B5D.jpeg

Both micro hens have chicks now. I’ll now refer to them as black band and red band to tell them apart.

Black band is at least 2 years old and is an excellent mother. She is still roosting on the ground with them, which I consider a positive trait. Hens that rush coop or tree roosting when the chicks simply can’t make it is a pet peeve of mine. She lost one chick when I introduced her to the AGB coop. The other hens killed and ate it so I put her in her own small coop with the 7 bitties she has left. I did cull their father, the fat combed stag.

Red band came off the next with her 6 bitties today. Too early to tell anything about them.

IMG_5652.jpeg

I’m in the process of downsizing my projects. But I am going to keep this project going. The micro offspring are doing well. Very healthy and vibrant. They have a strong RJF look. This stag will have his first adult molt this summer. I am excited to see what his adult plumage looks like. I am hoping his tail drops some carriage.

Marek’s ripped through my flock last year and decimated many of my project birds. The micros were highly inbred and they all tanked but one hen.

I have the one hen in with a small pure Cracker. I am hoping they’re both resistant to the Marek’s and I can start a new flock of the micros.
IMG_8186.jpeg
IMG_8184.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom