A new threat

chickengeorgeto

Crowing
7 Years
Dec 25, 2012
Big Bend of the Tennessee River's Right Bank.
On November 6 California voters will be asked to approve amendment 12. This Amendment can be used to arrest, convict, imprison, and seize the property of chicken keepers who use confinement to break sitting hens, isolate sick birds, or to retrain aggressive chickens.

Do not believe the fantasy that this proposed legislation will not affect back yard chicken keepers, you could be the next one to have your home and/or other property seized to fund the coffers of so called "humane" organizations.

Yikes!
Can you link specific language of proposed ordinance amendment?

It doesn't read all doom and gloom to me,

It doesn't state that chicken owners can't use isolation crates/coops for breaking broody hens or for sick chickens. It just states the minimum size of confinement, which happens to be perfectly acceptable.
Max fine I could find was $1,000 and/or 180 days in jail, not seizing property and/or homes.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_12,_Farm_Animal_Confinement_Initiative_(2018)

It just states the minimum size of confinement, which happens to be perfectly acceptable.
Pfft...that's nothing...should be more, IMO.
"egg-laying hens (chickens, turkeys, ducks, geese, and guinea fowl) in areas with less than 1 square foot of usable floor space per hen."

all doom and gloom to me,
That's george!

Is this for commercial or residential? I think those terms need more definition, because it could be an alternate way to end backyard chickens.
To what terms are you referring? I don't see how any of the verbiage of the Proposition in any affects HUMANE chicken husbandry for backyard chicken keepers. Personally, I think the commercial operations are inhumane regardless of the regulations. They would almost have to be in order to be profitable.
I would have to sell my eggs for $3.00/dozen to recoup my chicken keeping costs the I keep chickens. And that is without a profit. No way your average Joe Blow is going to buy eggs for that much.

People pay $4-5 per dozen here and a little more for duck eggs.

Anytime the government tries to pass a bill it is wise to look at all the what ifs. It opens the door for gray areas and when there is gray areas then the government will always win-guaranteed.

There really shouldn't have to be laws to treat animals humanely, no matter what they are used for. It's a shame due to human greed and ignorance that laws will eventually target those doing it right and those that aren't and should be get away with it

It doesn't read all doom and gloom to me,

It doesn't state that chicken owners can't use isolation crates/coops for breaking broody hens or for sick chickens. It just states the minimum size of confinement, which happens to be perfectly acceptable.
Max fine I could find was $1,000 and/or 180 days in jail, not seizing property and/or homes.

https://ballotpedia.org/California_Proposition_12,_Farm_Animal_Confinement_Initiative_(2018)

The seizure of homes comes in when the humane organization in question houses the chickens in question while the lawyers go about lawyering.

There was recently a case where a dog breeder was required to reimburse a humane organization to the tune of almost a $1,000 dollars per day for the feeding and upkeep of about 50 dogs and pups. The legal case went on for months and months.

Most of the money allegedly spent by the humane group was spent on Psychotherapy to help for the dogs over come their alleged abuse. Talk about dogs sleeping on the coutch.

Don't worry about the language of laws, the real tragedy is that laws are administered by humans.

In fact a few years ago one California "Humane" group used their California Law Enforcement Number to amass the second largest arsenal of automatic assualt weapons in the State of California. Second only to the California National Guard. There must be some real desperados keeping animals in the State of California for a humane organization to need 200 assault weapons.

The name of this now defunct organization was "The Mercy Mission" how ironic is that. All the weaponry was purchased with either donations or with fortifier money.

Last edited:
There are situations where such organizations are a real threat. Care must be taken to not over react and make statements about them that are not true. If I cannot trust someones assessment about a potential threat, then me and those like me are not going to help with your cause. Keep points accurate without trying to inflame. Hot heads will not be your best team mates.

I agree. The type of broody breaker or isolation cages used by many members on this site would easily meet the (very low) minimum space requirement of 1 sq ft. My brooder/isolation cage is close to 9 sq ft.

Back
Top Bottom