A P R I L Cigarette Tax,..Who is quitting????

I've been smoke free for 1year now and I still MISS smoking!! I watch movies and someones smoking and I think oh I'd love to have one.........or just this thread talking about smoking, makes me long for one. It's terribly hard to quit and it becomes soo much of your life that it's with everything you do. My DH still smokes but amazingly when he is smoking I don't want one, he had me get him a carton last week and the total came to $68...they were $49 last time I smoked them and I told him he needed to quit! (Our prices increased about 3weeks ago-so yesterday had no effect on them). It's not going to happen but I think one day he may try and hopefully I'll be able to continue to resist! I've heard if you make it to 2yrs smoke free you're odds of re-smoking have decreased incredibly!
fl.gif

I quit smoking about 25 years ago when smokes were $1.50 a pack. I still miss it sometimes but I can't justify spending $8-10 per pack of 20 cigarettes.
Most of that is Taxes, a cash cow for the Government.
Some people buy smokes off the Reserves and they pay less because of no tax but still they are not cheap.

Cartons of cigarettes have become the thing to steal in my area because they are so expensive. Most stores keep them behind a locked cabinet now.

When I get tempted to start smoking again, I do the math.
One pack a day for 30 days......$800-$1000 a month that I could never afford and don't know how some people can.

I smoke not planing on quitting. I spent the money 12 years ago and and bought a cig maker I have made my own for 12 yrs the cost of my supplies is $6-$7 a carton. As of now u can grow your own plants for privet use you just cant sell them. Here is a couple questions if we all quit smoking they will lose our tax money and how will they support every thing we all ready pay for? If the cig company have to lay people off there is more job losses and how they going to pay for that? For you none smokes what will they tax when they are done with us smokers?

Raising the taxes on cigarettes is insane in my opinion and I am not a smoker.

We have enough economic problems as it is. The government fails to realize just how much money they make from the cigarette industries each year. Look and see who were the biggest tax payers in industry last year and see where the cigarette companies fall.

Philip Morris has already closed factories in Kentucky and North Carolina, THOUSANDS out of jobs. They closed most all of their offices in NY and the factory in Virginia is downsizing all the time. Much of the product is being made overseas in Malaysia and Russia and not by American employees.

Thank you government for the taxes which will soon drive cigarette companies completely overseas.

Last edited:
They have also raised the federal tax on papers, loose tobacco, snuff etc. Everything related to smoking tobacco has had an increased. I have quit every year for the past 3 years on my birthday ( 4/20). I've tried every method. The one that has worked the longest, and best for me was the prescription. Last year I did not smoke for 7 months. What started me again was stress, and family who had still smoked at that time.

I figure one of these years it will stick for good, but last year was the longest. It isn't an easy task, but I'm stubborn, and refuse to give up trying.

So for anyone else who is trying to quit, keep the faith
thumbsup.gif

Bluemoon

I'm on my last pack. No more. I'm not paying those kinds of taxes for a habit I wish I never picked up. I will be done today. I don't care how crazy I get for the first couple of weeks. Just stay really busy. Does anyone know how long to get the nicotine out of system so cravings will decrease? Wish I could talk hubby into quitting. He has at least agreed to not smoke around me anymore. It's a start, I guess.

lil'chickies :

I'm on my last pack. No more. I'm not paying those kinds of taxes for a habit I wish I never picked up. I will be done today. I don't care how crazy I get for the first couple of weeks. Just stay really busy. Does anyone know how long to get the nicotine out of system so cravings will decrease? Wish I could talk hubby into quitting. He has at least agreed to not smoke around me anymore. It's a start, I guess.

I'll be thinking of you and cheering you on!!! I can't remember now if they say the "urge" or "craving" to smoke lasts for about 45-60seconds and then it's gone, so try to hold out and think of something else to help that time pass by because it will!! Good Luck!!!!
hugs.gif

hmm.png
I am quitting but not because of the price. Trying to just live a healthier life I hope I can do it....

I'm going to look into the electric cigarette. My DH told me that he would buy it for me if I would quit. It's about $150 to get set up with it and that's for a six month supply of nicotine.

Last time I tried to quit smoking, it was cold turkey and I gained 30 lbs. I do not want to gain like that again so I'm thinking the nicotine electric cigarette and a concious effort to maintain my weight will be a big help.

DH will be happy and I'll be able to quit at my own pace, but the US Government can kiss my chicky tocks! How dare them try to force people out of their own personal habits by making it impossible for you to afford it. If they do this with alcohol, the world is in big trouble. With this economy, people are already cranky. Make it impossible for them to relieve any stress with a cigarette and/or a drink and the violent crime rates will soar.

Back
Top Bottom