A picture to share

I don't lie to my kids ether. No Santa or Ester Bunny stories but I do tell them what they mean. I tell them the truth about what they are eating. They are 6 & 4 & help with the killing & butchering. I let them know from day one what they are. If it is for meat or eggs but even if it is for eggs it will be for food also. They argue when I tell them that this little chick is for meat but they soon name them Sunday Dinner & so on.

I want to make sure that my kids know if they want the truth they can come to me & get it. I have never lied to my kids & I won't start for any reason. I protect my kids but not to the point of lying to them.

ETA: OP I support you teaching the truth to your kids. The world will lie to them there whole life so teach them the truth while you can.

Last edited:
I wouldn't lie to the kids but I wouldn't let them get attached to the animals I was going to kill. I don't get attached to mine just for that reason, because I know it will be harder on me when I have to kill them. Just my opinion, doesn't have to be anyone elses.

I tell my kids right from the start which chicks are being raised for meat or for sale. I reassure them that we won't eat them when they're cute & fuzzy, they're free to enjoy these chicks while they grow. But they also know not to get emotionally attatched to them either, and so they're not so upset on the day of harvest. We treat our meaties with kindness and care, and appreciate them for the nourishment they provide.

Quote:
Um, ok...to be very clear, I do not have my kids holding the birds on any sort of regular basis. The 'I love you' is something new she has learned in her speech and she is just figuring out where it is appropriate. Just like she kept singing 'happy birthday' in church on Sunday b/c it's her new song! I honestly don't see them as attached to the chickens.

I didn't mean to cause any sort of controversy posting this picture! I think it is foolish to lie to your kids about where their food comes from etc etc...or the fact that everything dies at some point. In fact, just yesterday Lukey was telling me about our cat 'Peanut Buttter' that died a while ago. He said, 'I sort of miss PB, he went and he won't come back b/c he died...' and that was the end of it. He has a limited understanding of death and I think that is good. I would rather that than have lied to him and said that PB just ran away and we don't know where he is etc.

Anyway, jmho.

Parenthood is often a process. What we do one day we may not do another. My two youngest have grown up on the farm. While I have not lied to them over death, illness, mating or any other daily issues, there are things we protect them from. When it has been neccesary to end the suffering of an animal, we have never lied. We have also never allowed or asked them to be a part of it. Our son is 15 now and thinks he is ready to become part of that area of farm life. We have raised goats and egg chickens for years. We are now looking at some meat birds. My youngest is a 13 year old girl. While I do not lie to her I also know her. She is a gentle hearted child. So no, I will not make her a part of the slaughter. She can do other things that day. But to witness slaughter day will forever scar her heart.

My point here is you are doing nothing wrong. You know your children and the best way to do things with them, whehter or not they are the same things I would do with my children. They are individuals and you know them best.

And BTW- since mine are so big- that picture is absolutely adorable!

Don't feel like you have to defend yourself. You are bettering your children for letting them learn to love, respect, and care for the animals they eat -
smile.png

( and I don't think anyone was trying to say what you are doing is wrong )

Last edited:
Oh, and for the record, they won't be part of slaughter day...well at least Rachel won't for sure.

Come to think of it, I was probably a pre-teen when my parents had chickens and I remember staying in the house on slaughter day...with the blinds down
wink.png

Ya seriously don't try to defend yourself.... I mean it's a chicken forum... not a parenting forum.

Your chickens are cute... kids are cuter..... Good job raising them both and good luck to those chicken dinners!

Quote:
Um, ok...to be very clear, I do not have my kids holding the birds on any sort of regular basis. The 'I love you' is something new she has learned in her speech and she is just figuring out where it is appropriate. Just like she kept singing 'happy birthday' in church on Sunday b/c it's her new song! I honestly don't see them as attached to the chickens.

I didn't mean to cause any sort of controversy posting this picture! I think it is foolish to lie to your kids about where their food comes from etc etc...or the fact that everything dies at some point. In fact, just yesterday Lukey was telling me about our cat 'Peanut Buttter' that died a while ago. He said, 'I sort of miss PB, he went and he won't come back b/c he died...' and that was the end of it. He has a limited understanding of death and I think that is good. I would rather that than have lied to him and said that PB just ran away and we don't know where he is etc.

Anyway, jmho.

I think Becky was just responding to the way I posted & I was commenting on lurky's post. I didn't mean to be controversial but just wanted to say that I agree with you about your beliefs of not lying to your kids.

My kids want to help wit the butchering of there food& love to hunt for it. While I am lucky that my kids enjoy this I would still expect it anyhow. This is how Ii raise my kids. They do what needs to be done weather they enjoy it or not & they normally figure out a way to make it fun. As far as the picture goes you have to beautiful kids that look like there enjoying there self. My 6 year old has the job of caring for the chickens & is always picking them up & petting them even the meaties. He is a very centered boy that loves to do his part around the house.

It looks like your doing a fine job with the chickens & children.

Back
Top Bottom