A possible solution for egg eaters?

TrystInn

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Western Massachusetts
I've been having issues with one of our chickens eating eggs and if I'd have found out who it was, they'd be soup by now. I was just about to try a mustard egg but I was distracted by an opportunity to buy a collection of ceramic and wood eggs at a neighbor's yard sale. I'd cleaned them up and put them in the nest boxes to "teach" the ladies where to lay and lo and behold, I'm not finding partially or wholly eaten eggs anymore. What I think happened is my mean little egg eater tried to peck at the ceramic eggs, banged up her beak and then wore herself out trying! I'm leaving the decoy eggs in there for awhile, so far they've worked over a week now.

Anyone else find that ceramic and/or wood eggs will deter an egg eater?

Bless,
Tris

Hey yes golf balls do work most of the time they also help the hens to keep laying in their boxs instead of in the yard

I used wooden eggs the first time I had an egg eater. It worked, but the egg eater continued to be a problem periodically over the years until I finally culled her. She never unlearned the egg eating habit. I could deter her for a while, but she always reverted back to her nasty ways after a time.

It was a shame. She was one of my favorites. It hurt me to have to cull her. I couldn't even eat her. I processed her and gave her away.

Back
Top Bottom