A PSA about Quail Roos and Population Control

What about California/Valley quail (or really any quail species) in an aviary?

Or even say, 2 pairs in 100 square feet. Would that be okay?

100 square feet might be adequate for Coturnix flocks with 2 males, but not for the wilder, more territorial species—those should be kept in male-female pairs during breeding season for everyone's benefit.

I am soooooo guilty for this topic!! In my head when starting out I knew I would need to cull ... fully aware and fully ready to take it on!!
And then the chics were here being all cute and personalities and all... and then I was like “ugh!!! I can’t do it”... I think I really could if I felt more confident about it... like someone near me to show me.. like walk me through it....
So for now.. I just have been giving them to friends for their large reptiles to Eat

I am soooooo guilty for this topic!! In my head when starting out I knew I would need to cull ... fully aware and fully ready to take it on!!
And then the chics were here being all cute and personalities and all... and then I was like “ugh!!! I can’t do it”... I think I really could if I felt more confident about it... like someone near me to show me.. like walk me through it....
So for now.. I just have been giving them to friends for their large reptiles to Eat

I saw your post for four males the other day, start with those! If ud like to PM me i would hold ur hand from afar

Youtube video on how to process quail. It really is this humane and easy.

This is the video that I viewed to learn how to process quail. Kitchen shears work VERY well for this, I do not recommend knives for this task. Notice how she sacrifices the skin to eliminate the need to pluck. The technique you see where she's cutting down the spine is called splaycocking, and TOTALLY makes the processing of the birds super fast without wasting any meat. This whole process takes me about 3 minutes from livestock to the broiler.

I saw your post for four males the other day, start with those! If ud like to PM me i would hold ur hand from afar
Lol... you are too kind
Actually a friend is getting those 4 today..
But yea.. I need someone with me.. at my sink saying “okay and go” lol
I will say the more jerk-ass some are... I am finding i really could do it!! Haha

Youtube video on how to process quail. It really is this humane and easy.

This is the video that I viewed to learn how to process quail. Kitchen shears work VERY well for this, I do not recommend knives for this task. Notice how she sacrifices the skin to eliminate the need to pluck. The technique you see where she's cutting down the spine is called splaycocking, and TOTALLY makes the processing of the birds super fast without wasting any meat. This whole process takes me about 3 minutes from livestock to the broiler.
Great video... I have also seen one where the guy holds it .. looking away, but she is holding on its back? Is there a preferred way? Or an easier one? I mean which way holding makes it easier to hold and cut?

Lol... you are too kind
Actually a friend is getting those 4 today..
But yea.. I need someone with me.. at my sink saying “okay and go” lol
I will say the more jerk-ass some are... I am finding i really could do it!! Haha

Im glad you found an outlet for those and if thats working? i wouldn't fix it but i mean it if your at the sink and just need a little push cuz hes a jerk Anyway... i can totally do that. Managing your flock like this is in Everyones best intrest. If you already understand that then the next hurdle is actually taking a life. I see your question up there i like to hold them upside down but if your left handed might not work for you. I also skin them like that vid shows takes no time. I put the head between my index and middle fingers and cut right above my fingers. The first couple of times i did it i would get about halfway through and want to put the birds back together again :lau

Back
Top Bottom