A qestion for more experienced hatchers

Mommysongbird

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 17, 2011
Small Town, Virginia
Do it mean anything that an embryo more more or more quickly than another embryo??

I noticed this last night as I was candling our eggs. We have 19 eggs and 17 had movement, 2 are ????able. But as I was watching for movements I noticed that some of the eggs embryos moved more quickly and moved around more than some others. Can this be a sign of weekness or maybe of a chick who will probably not make it??

Just curious about this and if it makes a difference in any way.

I just think its individual. I have had some that darted all over and some that hardly moved but hatched anyway and have never lost a chick that hatched. And the some that moved crazy then for some unknown reason just quit or didnt pip. Do go totally by what they are doing inside the egg just let them be and hope for the best if that makes sense.

I can honestly say that in my experience it does not mean anything... I've had chicks that I thought for sure would never hatch because when i candled them, they didn't move but i could definitely tell it was in there... I have found that if you hold the egg in one hand, tap it with your finger (from the same hand) while you are candling from the top... The tapping will "wake them" and they will move around... This method has saved me from culling eggs that i thought were dead already...

While I am candling them, I will tap on the egg and i8f I do not see movement, I put it to the side.. While I am candling the rest, I periodically pick up the eggs that I put to the side and candle them two more times... If by the third time of tapping/candling they do not move, I cull them.. If they move, I put them back in the incubator... I *always* do eggtopsies and have never culled a live chick with this method...
smile.png

Goddess
jumpy.gif

Okay, that sounds logical and I was just curious. I have NEVER seen anything this that before and I just had to question it, actually my 9 yro son questioned it first, he thought it was really neat that they are in there just 'playing' and wondered what they would be like when they come out. I keep having to remind him that they may not come out, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom