7 day embryo had a heart beat after cracked

annabobbob717

Songster
9 Years
Oct 19, 2014
Upstate new york
Grisly question here. To make things short, I have eggs incubating and did my day seven candling. Two eggs appeared obviously sloshing and empty of signs of life so I decided to take them out. I tend to crack the eggs and see if the eggs had signs of life, death or never became fertile. One was infertile, and the other had a small embryo. To my absolute horror it had a heart and a heartbeat pounding from its chest. I have never seen anything like it in my ten years of raising eggs, it would not stop “living” for what seemed like ten mins so I put it out of whatever misery an embryo on the concrete could feel. Can someone explain why it wouldn’t have died or stopped having a heart beat? How long would it have been able to continue beating outside the shell at 7 days?
Thank you!

Grisly question here. To make things short, I have eggs incubating and did my day seven candling. Two eggs appeared obviously sloshing and empty of signs of life so I decided to take them out. I tend to crack the eggs and see if the eggs had signs of life, death or never became fertile. One was infertile, and the other had a small embryo. To my absolute horror it had a heart and a heartbeat pounding from its chest. I have never seen anything like it in my ten years of raising eggs, it would not stop “living” for what seemed like ten mins so I put it out of whatever misery an embryo on the concrete could feel. Can someone explain why it wouldn’t have died or stopped having a heart beat? How long would it have been able to continue beating outside the shell at 7 days?
Thank you!
Did it look bad when you candled it? Were there still veins present? I've had eggs that are visibly dying, and even after the veins break down, the embryo will still be moving and alive for a short time. It's always sad since it's essentially doomed, but that could have been the case. I would also recommend waiting until at least 10 days to remove any eggs too especially if you're newer at it, 7 days is a little early and mistakes can easily be made on eggs that are a bit ahead or behind.
Sorry for your loss.

Did it look bad when you candled it? Were there still veins present? I've had eggs that are visibly dying, and even after the veins break down, the embryo will still be moving and alive for a short time. It's always sad since it's essentially doomed, but that could have been the case. I would also recommend waiting until at least 10 days to remove any eggs too especially if you're newer at it, 7 days is a little early and mistakes can easily be made on eggs that are a bit ahead or behind.
Sorry for your loss.
Thank you! It was a dark egg and it appeared sloshy and veinless during candling. The veins were very present when I cracked it open. It appeared healthy besides the sloshy candling which I’ve always noticed meant the egg is dead.

Back
Top Bottom