A question about 18 week old RIR pullets.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickendude, Oct 3, 2009.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    My Rhode Island Red pullets are 18 weeks old today. One of them is very developed. Her comb and waddles are huge and bright red. The other 5 are coming along but not as developed. I think I will be getting eggs from the early maturing pullet soon. But I live in New York and the daylight is only 12 hours long at best. Will I need to use a light on a timer in their coop so they have 14 hours of light for them to give me eggs this year.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Are you sure it's a pullet? Do you have pictures of the fast maturing one?

3. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:Give me a a few minutes. I just took a pic and have to download it here.

4. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The one in question is all the way to the right. The silver laced Polish is my Roo.

5. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    The way the one in question holds it's tail down I think it is a pullet.
    chickens develope at differnt rate so the pullet is just a head of the others.
    your pullets will lay when it is time no matter if the light is less. they would produce more eggs if they had 14 hour of light either natural or with a light bulb.

6. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Thank you Pattypenny. That is what I thought also but I wasn't 100% positive. I can't wait for the first egg. I feel like a kid at Christmas time. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2009
  7. animal_lover03

animal_lover03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Yes, they all look like pullets, and you might get eggs soon from the one with the largest comb and wattle.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I agree, all the RIR's look like pullets. Your fast maturing one looks like mine did when she started laying.

So good news, eggs will be coming soon!!!!!

9. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Looks like you are going to start getting some eggs any day now [​IMG] Is she squatting?

10. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in Minnesota and I still get eggs in the winter even though I don't use any additional light. Especially from the younger ones. [​IMG]

You may get more eggs if you put a light on them but you may also end up with reproductive trouble in the coming years. Birds under light tend to burn out early.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by