A question about eggs

ManILoveBirds

In the Brooder
Apr 5, 2022
I had someone check my quails sex a month ago and she said all 5 of them are female(Though I have my doubts because she isn’t a professional). They started laying eggs 1-2 weeks ago and after that for 3 days I would always find 1 or 2 eggs in their dust bath. Though after that they stopped laying for an entire week and only laid another today. Is this behavior normal? I know that quails that just started laying will lay one or two eggs every few days but does that mean the first three days aren’t normal? Do I need to give them more protein and calcium or less? They are all about the same age so they are probably all laying unless there are some that are late bloomers.

If you offer them calcium on the side, they will take as much as they need.

They need at least 14 hours of light/day to lay, and no stress. Any stress and they will stop laying. This could mean moving them, changing their environment, too many males to females, a predator hanging around, etc.

If they are still young, it's not unusual for them to be irregular in their laying for the first few weeks.

If you offer them calcium on the side, they will take as much as they need.

They need at least 14 hours of light/day to lay, and no stress. Any stress and they will stop laying. This could mean moving them, changing their environment, too many males to females, a predator hanging around, etc.

If they are still young, it's not unusual for them to be irregular in their laying for the first few weeks.
They are still young but I will fix these problems soon for the future. I keep my quails inside so they usually don't get day lights at all and I have moved them around a bit, so I might get them a cage outside soon after a while so they don't get stressed of moving all the time.

Back
Top Bottom