1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A Question concerning baby chicks, mama hen and roosts. Can you guess?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jeevesrules, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    I know its not exact, but at what age (approximately) do mama and chicks begin to roost?? Im not worried but i would like them to start soon. They are three weeks old tonight and have been with the flock since day 3. They have also been 'practicing' roosting on branches and sticks and anything else that looks slightly stickish. [​IMG] thanks for any help and advice [​IMG]

2. Jeevesrules

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    Anyone??

3. Jeevesrules

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    seriously, noone?

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Patience grasshopper!

Mine roost at earliest at three weeks but usually four weeks or later when hen raised. Can be a function of breed, temperature, roost options and perceived threats on ground at night. With hen raised mine (games) almost always up by 6 weeks.

5. Jeevesrules

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    ok thanks

6. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    I have one that is being hen raised that is 4 weeks. Betty keeps trying to encourage her to roost but she just stands on the bottom and cheeps at her really loud until betty gives up and sleeps on the floor with her. Soon she will get it i hope.

7. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    I have a 3 month old RIR chick who is nearly as big as her bantam foster mom and I find the chick sitting on top of her mom in the nest box at bed time. So 3 mo and not roosting. ;-)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by