advise with integrating 14 week old chicks with hens in this extreme heat

aldarita

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 2, 2012
Brenham TX
I want to integrate 8 chicks that are 14 weeks old, 2 of them are cockerels (one is a male I ordered and the other is a surprise cockerel that was supposed to be a pullet) They have been in a "see don't touch" situation since they were 3 weeks old with 11 hens of different ages (from 3 years to 9 years). Each group has their own coops, runs and yards. They are separated by a fence. My plan was to integrate them so they can share the big yards during the day and go to their coops to roost at night, also I wanted to do the integration around this time because of the cockerels. Their hormones are about to kick in and they need to be with the hens to "teach" them some manners.
This was my plan but know I think I have to reconsider due to the extreme heat we are experiencing here in South Central Texas. They are already overly stressed and I don't want to add more stress with the introduction. They see each other every day during the short times they can be out when the heat is tolerable but then they retreat to their "cool" places where they spend most of the day before the sun sets (which is around 8PM).
The hens roost in 2 different coops and the chicks have their own so roosting won't be a problem. Everyone has a set place to spend the night.
I am considering waiting until the beginning of November when temps will come down but my concern are the cockerels. I wonder if I should move them with the hens and leave the pullets where they are. This way I will only be integrating 2 which I assume will go better than 8.
Any advice ?

My goodness, and I've been complaining about the heat here! It's beautiful compared to your heat wave at the moment and for the next several weeks.

I think your plan is a sound one, considering. I'd rather integrate them all as a group together (it usually goes better), but I understand the need to get the boys in with the big girls ASAP - and you're right, it's best to keep stress at a minimum right now.

So if it were me in your shoes, I'd probably let the boys out into the big yard by themselves first, before you let the big girls join them. Let them snoop around and get to know the place, locate food water and shade. If you haven't already, put some obstructions scattered about so they can get away / break line-of-sight if the hens start bullying. Then let the hens in with them a few at a time, and supervise as you can. Lots of cool treats - watermelon, frozen berries/fruit, veggies in various places for distractions. Place food and water in several shady places so the boys can always access it if the hens get territorial with theirs.

If all goes well, then let the little girls join the group late in the day. If not, they can wait for cooler weather.
OR.....
Let all the youngsters into the big yard together, and let the hens in a few at a time under supervision. Get it all overwith at once. If you've got enough obstructions and distractions, and food/water stations, they should work it out.

Thank you for the great points in your advice. I am hoping things should go smooth if I get several feeders, water, treats, hideouts, etc. Right now we are in the worst part of the heat wave (102 -105) real temp. I'm watching the cockerels like a hawk, so far they have not started acting up so I'm holding the separations and introductions. Hopefully they will be ok for a while.

Back
Top Bottom