A Random Flock Photo Shoot

Noir really is the coolest looking duck ever! I hope my chocolate runner looks like that someday
smile.png
can I ask what breeds yours all are? And can I add to your photoshoot? I spent some time outside with my flock today letting them forage while I slowly froze to my camera phone.

Pteroduckyl leading the crew in a stampede for mealworms! And lagging Tater in the back decides to cheat and take wing to catch up

Michelle showing off her feathers in the sun

And showing off her incredible flying skills

Biffy must be channeling some of Waffles's spirit with this oh-so-scary chest bump to show Jeepers who is boss.

Frankenduck and one of his mallard admirers

Seriously, have you ever seen a duck with a greener head than Frank's??

Dickie following his half sister, Snowflake.

Biff is FINALLY finishing her molt that has lasted for months! See her new flight feathers coming in?
smile.png

Jeepers, Tater Tot, Potato and Duckasauras. They are little mealworms fiends!
Great pictures all, but I REALLY like the last one of Michelle. The wings straight out like that make a truly spectacular shot.

You are where I was a year ago - except I didn't know. I had pure blue/chocolate/black runners and looked at Amiga's speckled runners and thought, "I'd like to get some of those."
big_smile.png
Now all my runners have some white on them (Noir has the most).

As far as my breeds, they are all my signature (lol) but since you have names all over the place too, I propose I will put up a list and you do the same with your ducks "Name" "Breed" "Why Name"

I'll go:

Kaine - Rouen - Because of his green head, he reminded me of the Duck Head handle that is often on a walking cane.
Noir - Black Runner - French for Black
Mystique - Blue Runner - Named after the blue girl in X-men
Dove - Chocolate Runner - Dove Chocolate.... mmmm
Entie - Fawn & White Runner - Ente (pronounced En-tah) is German for Duck - manipulated the word to make it sound more like a girl's name.
Greta - Black Swedish - After Greta Garbo - a Swedish actress in Black and White films.
Roxette - Blue Swedish - Named after the Swedish band of the same name.
Pocahontas - Cayuga - American Indian name for a duck whose breed was named after a region of NY that was named after an American Indian People.
Tevye - White Crested - Named after a the character from fiddler on the roof who was Russian because his poof looks like an Ushanka.
Rhiannon - Welsh Harlequin - Welsh name meaning "Great Queen"
=== Disclamer === The next two ducks were our firsts and were named after what ducks obviously do a lot of...
Tella - Rouen - Short for "S***tella"
Ettie - Rouen - Nick name for "Pooppette"
=============== They NEVER get called by their full names.

New ducks on order...
Allie - Pekin - Short for Alabaster
Casie - Khaki Campbell - K.C.
Latte - Buff Orpington - That drink with the similar color.

OK, your turn
big_smile.png

My turn, oh boy there's a lot lol. I can't see signatures because I use the mobile site almost 100% of the time. I don't even remember what my signature is lol.

Well let's see... My ducks don't really have a "why" behind their names other than me or my husband just liking the sound of them.

Waffles - was a female pekin - one of my first two ducks. I love waffles and I loved her so why not name her Waffles? Lol also, she had crooked legs so she needed a fuddy duddy funny name. She was the leader of my hand-fed crew. Died two weeks ago.

Potato - male mallard - the other of my first two ducks, and he needed a name that was equally funny as Waffles lol

Michelle - Cayuga - because it's a pretty name :) occasional member of the hand-fed crew.

Duckasauras - female fawn and white runner - because she's a runner and they remind me of dinosaurs the way they stand. Occasional member of the hand-fed crew.

Pteroduckyl - female chocolate runner - goes with the dinosaur runner theme, even tho pterosaurs weren't technically dinosaurs

Tater Tot - make welsh harlequin - because he looked like Potato, only snowy. Occasional member of the hand-fed crew.

Jeepers Creepers - female welsh harlequin - because it's a cute name. Member of the hand-fed crew.

Biff - female buff - my husband demanded her name be Biff so we could call her Biff the buff. New leader of the hand-fed crew.

Nachos - female mallard - one of two orphan ducklings someone insisted we take because they didn't know how to hand raise ducklings and we are the only duck people around here. Named her Nachos because my boss wanted me to, lol. Indistinguishable from her sister.

Lloyd - female mallard - the other of the two orphans. Named Lloyd because my husband wanted to name them both after Harry and Lloyd from Dumb and Dumber, but I veto'd Harry. Indistinguishable from her sister.

Mr. Duckie - male fawn runner/mallard mix? - named by my husband and I have no idea why. Hatched ourselves last fall. Probably going to have to cull soon.

Frankenduck - male pekin/mallard mix? - named because he and his sibling that died right after hatching were HUGE, so I named them after monsters. His sibling was named Count Duckula. Hatched ourselves last fall. Member of the hand-fed crew. Probably going to have to cull soon :(

Dickie - male fawn runner/mallard mix - my husband named him Dick the duck, but I prefer Dickie the duckie :) hatched ourselves last fall. May have to cull soon.

Snowflake - female welsh harlequin/mallard mix? - I let my friend name her for his birthday, and she was very white/yellow as a duckling. So the name made more sense then lol.

*other past ducks*

Mr. Presiduck - male Cayuga - had to be given away because he was too rough with the females and harassing Waffles to death.

Gunter - female blue Swedish - named after penguin in the Adventure Time show. Was brutally drowned and plucked by Mr Presiduck and others at 6wks old, shortly after introduction into the flock.

And that's all...for now... ;)

My turn, oh boy there's a lot lol. I can't see signatures because I use the mobile site almost 100% of the time. I don't even remember what my signature is lol.

Well let's see... My ducks don't really have a "why" behind their names other than me or my husband just liking the sound of them.

And that's all...for now...
wink.png
Wow that was fun! I had noticed that some names were pretty "normal" like Michelle, and some were a little different like Frankenduck so I figured that would be a fun read
big_smile.png
Sorry you have to cull drakes that get named, that must be hard
sad.png
. That is the second reason I am not tough enough to hatch. (The first is the drama of the hatch itself). I will let John Metzer worry about culling and hatching.
big_smile.png

Do your ducks get non-hand-fed treats? All our ducks will eat treats by hand including Tella and Ettie who where hatched and raised by their momma on a farm (they were subjected to people and dogs, but not intimately). We got them when they were fully feathered and had attitudes. It took some time and they had to attack us with the dreaded chest bump and psycho head vibration several times before they trusted us, but now they are just as happy to be around us and get treats by hand as our raised from the brooder ducks. They get some kind of treat almost every day (we are always stocked on romaine lettuce) and they have free choice food available all the time (except when they are in their house at night).

Wow that was fun!  I had noticed that some names were pretty "normal" like Michelle, and some were a little different like Frankenduck so I  figured that would be a fun read :D   Sorry you have to cull drakes that get named, that must be hard:( .  That is the second reason I am not tough enough to hatch.  (The first is the drama of the hatch itself).  I will let John Metzer worry about culling and hatching. :D

Do your ducks get non-hand-fed treats?  All our ducks will eat treats by hand including Tella and Ettie who where hatched and raised by their momma on a farm (they were subjected to people and dogs, but not intimately).  We got them when they were fully feathered and had attitudes.  It took some time and they had to attack us with the dreaded chest bump and psycho head vibration several times before they trusted us, but now they are just as happy to be around us and get treats by hand as our raised from the brooder ducks.  They get some kind of treat almost every day (we are always stocked on romaine lettuce) and they have free choice food available all the time (except when they are in their house at night).

Yes, the crazy names are all my names lol. I think we may actually be giving two of the drakes to my in laws, so I'm happy they will have a place to go :) the original deal my husband made with me was that I could get my dream pets if he was allowed to hatch their eggs and raise them for meat. But there was a problem: I named them all, lol. And of course I fell in love with them because they imprinted on us. So the new plan is to let the ducks go broody and raise their own, and I will hopefully not get attached to them. We will see about that...

Some of mine can be hand fed, but not all. None of the mallards will eat out of my hand. My hand-fed crew are my homies, and (usually) are happy to eat out of my hand. And then I finally give in and throw treats to the others that hang back. I try to spend time with them and tame them, but it's difficult because my husband and I both work full time and we don't have any kids to go hold the ducks and play with them. But I do what I can. Waffles is proof that I can tame them up. She was people shy when I got her, but at the end she only really preferred to eat out of my hand, and vigorously too! I wish my ducks all loved me, but I can be patient. They refused to eat any treats today because we had to catch them and clip their wings and band them. They will hold a grudge for a few days I am sure, lol.

Yours are from Metzer too? A number of mine are. Hatching can be heart breaking, but it's the only way I would want to get ducks anymore. It is sooooooo cute having ducklings that love you and follow you all around. I just wish they stayed that way! Lol

Yes, the crazy names are all my names lol. I think we may actually be giving two of the drakes to my in laws, so I'm happy they will have a place to go
smile.png
the original deal my husband made with me was that I could get my dream pets if he was allowed to hatch their eggs and raise them for meat. But there was a problem: I named them all, lol. And of course I fell in love with them because they imprinted on us. So the new plan is to let the ducks go broody and raise their own, and I will hopefully not get attached to them. We will see about that...

Some of mine can be hand fed, but not all. None of the mallards will eat out of my hand. My hand-fed crew are my homies, and (usually) are happy to eat out of my hand. And then I finally give in and throw treats to the others that hang back. I try to spend time with them and tame them, but it's difficult because my husband and I both work full time and we don't have any kids to go hold the ducks and play with them. But I do what I can. Waffles is proof that I can tame them up. She was people shy when I got her, but at the end she only really preferred to eat out of my hand, and vigorously too! I wish my ducks all loved me, but I can be patient. They refused to eat any treats today because we had to catch them and clip their wings and band them. They will hold a grudge for a few days I am sure, lol.

Yours are from Metzer too? A number of mine are. Hatching can be heart breaking, but it's the only way I would want to get ducks anymore. It is sooooooo cute having ducklings that love you and follow you all around. I just wish they stayed that way! Lol
All but 2 are from Metzer. Mine went through the "we hate people" phase too. From about 2-3 months old to {varies by duck} now they are all hand-feedable and about half of them will hang around with me just because and 2 or 3 depending on the day will let me bend down and touch their bills / backs without casually strolling out of range. They all seem interested whenever I am doing something in the yard and will come over and watch, so while they don't follow me with desperation like a duckling will, they loosely follow me around to see what I am up to. Rhiannon is the most social with us. She will shove past Yvonne and I if we are in her way just like we were ducks ourselves. Tevye is one of the shyer birds, unless there are treats involved, then you can't scare him if you try. A couple days ago, he perched on my shoe when I was feeding him, so I slowly lifted my leg until my foot was about 1-1/2 feet of the ground, he stood there for about 20 seconds, then he decided to fly down to the ground
big_smile.png

All but 2 are from Metzer.  Mine went through the "we hate people" phase too.  From about 2-3 months old to {varies by duck}  now they are all hand-feedable and about half of them will hang around with me just because and 2 or 3 depending on the day will let me bend down and touch their bills / backs without casually strolling out of range.  They all seem interested whenever I am doing something in the yard and will come over and watch, so while they don't follow me with desperation like a duckling will, they loosely follow me around to see what I am up to.  Rhiannon is the most social with us.  She will shove past Yvonne and I if we are in her way just like we were ducks ourselves.  Tevye is one of the shyer birds, unless there are treats involved, then you can't scare him if you try.  A couple days ago, he perched on my shoe when I was feeding him, so I slowly lifted my leg until my foot was about 1-1/2 feet of the ground, he stood there for about 20 seconds, then he decided to fly down to the ground :D .

I wish mine were like that. I think part of the problem is that they're in their cage most of the time, and when I come in it probably feels like they are cornered. We plan on moving hopefully this year, maybe next, and we will fence off the whole backyard. I am hoping they won't feel as trapped and might be more interested in people and less afraid.

Your Rhiannon is sooooo pretty. She's from Metzer? My WH female Jeepers is from Metzer too but she looks totally different. I think she would be considered silver phase? She's soooo light colored. I think she is pretty, but yours is gorgeous ;)

Here is Jeepers

Last edited:
I wish mine were like that. I think part of the problem is that they're in their cage most of the time, and when I come in it probably feels like they are cornered. We plan on moving hopefully this year, maybe next, and we will fence off the whole backyard. I am hoping they won't feel as trapped and might be more interested in people and less afraid.

Your Rhiannon is sooooo pretty. She's from Metzer? My WH female Jeepers is from Metzer too but she looks totally different. I think she would be considered silver phase? She's soooo light colored. I think she is pretty, but yours is gorgeous ;)

Here is Jeepers

Jeepers is very adorable. Sweet face.

All but 2 are from Metzer.  Mine went through the "we hate people" phase too.  From about 2-3 months old to {varies by duck}  now they are all hand-feedable and about half of them will hang around with me just because and 2 or 3 depending on the day will let me bend down and touch their bills / backs without casually strolling out of range.  They all seem interested whenever I am doing something in the yard and will come over and watch, so while they don't follow me with desperation like a duckling will, they loosely follow me around to see what I am up to.  Rhiannon is the most social with us.  She will shove past Yvonne and I if we are in her way just like we were ducks ourselves.  Tevye is one of the shyer birds, unless there are treats involved, then you can't scare him if you try.  A couple days ago, he perched on my shoe when I was feeding him, so I slowly lifted my leg until my foot was about 1-1/2 feet of the ground, he stood there for about 20 seconds, then he decided to fly down to the ground :D .
Tony, please tell Tevye I love him. He's still on my computer's background.

Your Rhiannon is sooooo pretty. She's from Metzer? My WH female Jeepers is from Metzer too but she looks totally different. I think she would be considered silver phase? She's soooo light colored. I think she is pretty, but yours is gorgeous
wink.png

Here is Jeepers

Yup Rhiannon is Metzer. Metzer says they sell only silver phase and from what I can tell, gold phase have brown speculum feathers like Khaki Campbells. See http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/about-welsh-harlequin-ducks.html. So Rhiannon must be a silver phase but with really dark pigmentation. I think Jeepers is more "correct" for the breed and is quite beautiful. Rhiannon must have a little more KC showing through darkening her up. But I think she is beautiful.

Tony, please tell Tevye I love him. He's still on my computer's background.
I will and I will stroke his webs in your name
wink.png

Yup Rhiannon is Metzer. Metzer says they sell only silver phase and from what I can tell, gold phase have brown speculum feathers like Khaki Campbells. See http://www.moosemanorfarms.com/about-welsh-harlequin-ducks.html. So Rhiannon must be a silver phase but with really dark pigmentation. I think Jeepers is more "correct" for the breed and is quite beautiful. Rhiannon must have a little more KC showing through darkening her up. But I think she is beautiful.

I will and I will stroke his webs in your name
wink.png
LOL. That made me laugh. Good. Thank you, Tony. He really is such a sweet boy.

Back
Top Bottom