A rather odd request.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Firefyter-Emt, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

Been a while, but I am still planning and may have down-graded our plans to under 6 chickens and a coop which has the pen covered with a roof matching the pitch of the coop (colonial style)

ANYWAY... I am wondering if anyone could help me with feathers?? As a side hobby I hand make pens (and personaly use fountain pens daily) but I want to use some feathers cast in acrylic resin to make the pen bodies. I am looking for some nice ones that are about 2" long or so, but they need smaller, not huge.

Now I don't want anyone plucking... and I am not sure how easy it is to collect them, but I assume that feathers must abound in the coop, Right?? It would be great if someone could gather some here and there and mail me an envelope of them... I might even trade a pen made in this fashion if someone really has a good batch. I don't need boxes and boxes of feathers, but e-mail me and we can go fromt here.

So that's my odd request for the day, shoot me an e-mail if you can help me out...

This is not my pen, but desgined by a fellow pen turner and I want to give these a try..

[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Those look like Barred Rock hackle feathers.
    Pretty pen. [​IMG]

3. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    That's a very interesting hobby! Is there any specific breed or color that you are wanting?

P.S. Are you honestly a firefighter/emt? My other half is a cop/volunteer firefighter/previous emt.

4. snugglepup

snugglepup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2007
    Creedmoor, NC
    I'd be happy to help you out! I compulsively collect the pretty feathers that tend to fly around my coop. Id love them to go to good use. Email me your info, and I'll send you a variety.

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    What a nice looking pen...wish I had some mottled color feathers to send you...I'll look around the hen house!!!....I have some blue and splash orps that might have a few feathers missing in the coop...I'll look...

6. Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt Chillin' With My Peeps

Pup.. e-mail sent!

My name sake? Yes and no... I am a former smoke-eater but I have used the screen name since the late 90's and just can't bear myself to change it (just google the name)
    I put in 11 years on the Charlton, Mass. Fire-Rescue, Engine Co-3 and my primary job was a pump operator for Engine 3. I also was an EMT-B for about 3 years. When we moved to Connecticut, my EMT certs did not transfer and family changes made me hang my bunker gear for good, although I miss it badly at times...

As for breed, color... mostly something that looks really nice.

Here is a photo of my company, not my truck but we were just posing anyway! I am the skinny guy on the far left. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2007
  7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Quote:We're down to two hens here but I'd be happy to send what I find. I've got a mystery chicken with black feathers and a barred rock.
    I'm just south of you in the Windham area.

8. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    That's awesome! Thanks for sharing the photo, Fire. Our volunteer department's truck is yellow *ha* I'd put some of ours up, but now that he works for the PD he's not allowed to have public photos [​IMG] Kinda weird, but for security's sake I will get over it *ha*

My birds are are bantams right now, but I should be getting some standards this weekend that will have larger feathers.

snugglepup - what kinds of chickens do you have? Just curious [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by