A real rooster - at last!

sewingca

Songster
10 Years
Dec 2, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
My dear friend, MrsChickendad, suggested I tell the story of Hunner (named by my great-nephew, Hunner). All my girls grew up together without a rooster. Hunner was introduced as a young guy who didn't know he was a he. The girls pecked at him and bullied him. Even when he learned he was a rooster, he didn't play the part well. He didn't court the girls - just snuck up on them. He didn't point out treats and, until recently, he didn't even crow. Well, that was before Larry and his sister, Maureen, joined the group. The first thing Hunner did was beat up poor Larry. The girls were so impressed! They stood by and cheered him on! I stood by with a water sprayer and shot Hunner in the face as well as any girl nearby during the fracus.

Now Hunner does court the girls - he dances all around them and they don't seem to mind at all. He does that sweet little chuck-a-chucka, picks up the treat, drops it again and the girls take notice. Larry and Maureen keep their distance from big, tough Hunner, but now they are on the bottom of the pecking order. All the girls treat them like riff-raff. In time, I guess someone new will join the group and the balance of power will change once again. I do so love the chicken world!

45265_img_4401.jpg

Thanks all, he is a sweet guy. He's also the biggest chicken in the bunch. His favorite girl is a bantam who's currently broody and can't be bothered.

smile.png
Caroline

My, that Hunner is a HUNK! Barbara definitely thinks so. She particularly likes those bedroom slipper feet. (Much easier on a girl, you know. . .) Now that he has some self confidence, he should be a good flockmaster. Go, Hunner!

Back
Top Bottom