A really good blender??

I realize it’s not Necessary...but, I feel like it does them some good, and since it’s free.. I might as well.

I'm not saying don't feed the eggshells back to them. I do this myself. I'm just saying it's not necessary to put them in the blender first. I just collect them in a bowl on the counter and when the bowl is full, crush them with my fist a maybe 3-4 times and then give them back to the flock.

They don't have any odor, actually, while drying. They just sit in a repurposed container on the counter until it's full, then the crushing commences. :D
Ok, I rinse them, then let them dry a bit on a paper towel...but when I put them in the container, they are always leaking the sticking egg whites and they stink inside that container. Do need to do more than just a rinse?

Ok, I rinse them, then let them dry a bit on a paper towel...but when I put them in the container, they are always leaking the sticking egg whites and they stink inside that container. Do need to do more than just a rinse?

Feed them sooner? I just assume that each day's eggshells get taken out that day. They get a squish so they no longer look like an egg, then dumped on the ground/floor of the chicken pen. I squish with my hand, a fork, a spoon--or my foot, if I see that they still look like an egg when they land on the ground.

I usually break them down into large pieces, toast in oven for a short while (but don't burn them, they stink when that happens). Then I toss the pieces into a plastic bag and smash them down with a rolling pin. I cut the tip off of the plastic bag, and they funnel into a mason jar for storage/use. The smashing part is fun. :)

Back
Top Bottom