A Recipe: How To Make Your Own Anti-Pecking Cream

rmurrayslcut

Songster
10 Years
May 17, 2013
South Jordan, UT
I've used anti-pecking creams (I used Peck-No-More) with great success. The trouble is, I got tired of paying $9-$12 for a tiny little 4 ounce bottle that I would use up in a week. After some experimentation I came up with a concoction that works great. I estimate I make it for less than a quarter of what the commercial stuff costs.

I start with some udder cream (I use Fiebing's), which is around $4 per pound. You can buy it even cheaper in a four-pound jar, and use the smaller jar to mix and carry out into your coop. The udder cream is soft, covers any wounds, and helps protect the un-feathered area or wound from cold and dirt.It also comes in jars, and you can use your fingers to apply it and get out every last bit. Peck-No-More comes in little tubes that you have to squeeze.

Add a little black food color - just a few drops. This changes the yellow udder cream to a dark gray/purple/black color, which covers up the wound and hides any red blood that sends the other chickens into a pecking frenzy. Black food color is cheap and you can find it in the baking section of any grocery store.

The last ingredient is tea tree oil, which is the active ingredient in the commercial solutions. This is expensive, about $7.50 per ounce, and is available at places like GNC or any store that sells health supplements or aroma therapy supplies. The good news is that you'll only add a few drops because it's potent stuff. This is what provides the minty scent that the other chickens don't like, so it deters them from pecking once they get it on their beaks.

So that's it...mix a little black food color and tea tree oil into some udder balm. Just experiment and you'll get the right amounts in the mix. Be careful with your first batch. It doesn't take much food color or tea tree oil.

It works for me. I hope it works for you and saves you some money.
smile.png

I realize this is an old post but I used this recipe with some tweaks (based on what I had on hand) and thought I'd share! I used A &D instead of bag balm and red and blue (to make DARK purple) food coloring bc I didn't have bag balm or black food coloring on hand! I have a tiny little bantam hen that I got a couple days ago and her poor little head was picked almost bare so I needed something fast. I put some of my concoction on her so we'll see what happens!

Agreed. The amount I put into the mix far exceeds the dilution recommendations on the bottle. It's a couple of drops into a one pound bottle of udder cream.

I've used anti-pecking creams (I used Peck-No-More) with great success. The trouble is, I got tired of paying $9-$12 for a tiny little 4 ounce bottle that I would use up in a week. After some experimentation I came up with a concoction that works great. I estimate I make it for less than a quarter of what the commercial stuff costs.

I start with some udder cream (I use Fiebing's), which is around $4 per pound. You can buy it even cheaper in a four-pound jar, and use the smaller jar to mix and carry out into your coop. The udder cream is soft, covers any wounds, and helps protect the un-feathered area or wound from cold and dirt.It also comes in jars, and you can use your fingers to apply it and get out every last bit. Peck-No-More comes in little tubes that you have to squeeze.

Add a little black food color - just a few drops. This changes the yellow udder cream to a dark gray/purple/black color, which covers up the wound and hides any red blood that sends the other chickens into a pecking frenzy. Black food color is cheap and you can find it in the baking section of any grocery store.

The last ingredient is tea tree oil, which is the active ingredient in the commercial solutions. This is expensive, about $7.50 per ounce, and is available at places like GNC or any store that sells health supplements or aroma therapy supplies. The good news is that you'll only add a few drops because it's potent stuff. This is what provides the minty scent that the other chickens don't like, so it deters them from pecking once they get it on their beaks.

So that's it...mix a little black food color and tea tree oil into some udder balm. Just experiment and you'll get the right amounts in the mix. Be careful with your first batch. It doesn't take much food color or tea tree oil.

smile.png

smile.png

smile.png
This is fantastic! Thank you!

I realize this is an old post but I used this recipe with some tweaks (based on what I had on hand) and thought I'd share! I used A &D instead of bag balm and red and blue (to make DARK purple) food coloring bc I didn't have bag balm or black food coloring on hand! I have a tiny little bantam hen that I got a couple days ago and her poor little head was picked almost bare so I needed something fast. I put some of my concoction on her so we'll see what happens!
How did she do?

Back
Top Bottom