A reporter is coming to my house! *Updated with article in reply*

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by Emilys3guppies, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Emilys3guppies

Emilys3guppies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    I spoke, for 5 minutes, at our recent Municipal Council meeting on why the Municipality should amend their bylaws to allow backyard hens. A reporter from our local paper heard me and called me this morning! She said she heard me speak and was impressed with the story. She's coming by tomorrow morning, with a photographer, to do an interview.

I hope I do well! I will have my speech with me so I can make my points. Oooooo. It's so nervewracking! Wish me luck! If I can get more of the town behind me, it will only do good things for the cause.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] WTG ....You are wished more than good luck. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Prayers will also be with you.
    [​IMG]

3. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    [​IMG]

4. Chicken support

Chicken support Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Good luck I hope it goes great!

5. chickens4me

chickens4me Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    Good for You! [​IMG]

6. alicefelldown

alicefelldown Looking for a broody

Aug 18, 2008
    Congrats!! Let us know if you need anything! [​IMG]

7. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    OMG, how did it go? did they come? That is soooo eggciting

8. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Good luck!

9. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks! I'l update tomorrow with how it went...and on the weekend, when the article comes out, I'll post the online link to it. [​IMG] YAY!

10. Emilys3guppies

Jun 1, 2009
    Toronto
    The interview went fantastically.

The reporter was a woman similar to myself...mother of young children, 'going green', ect. She admitted that she also wanted a few chickens for her yard and that helped inspire a story on it. LOL! I'm pleased as punch to be able to help!

I touched on all the points I wanted to:
    *we can't afford to eat organic or antibiotic/pesticide-free unless we grow it ourselves
    *our bylaws already protect residents from undue noise, odor and unsightly yards
    *we are a rural community that relys on local farmlands...why not allow chickens?

Well, I had a bunch more but I don't have to convince you folks. I talked about the financial side of it too...and also mentioned a number of ways that regulating chickens will HELP the municipality instead of creating more work.

The reporter told me that she sits in on all the council meetings and, IHO, she thinks this will pass. There are two farmers sitting on the council who love thier chickens. She also arranged with me to come back to do a follow-up story once the bylaw passes so they can get pics of my coop, chooks and collecting eggs. [​IMG]

Also, 4 of the 6 local councillors have gotten back to me. 3 were positive but one was concerned that I'll build an illegal coop. I wrote back that I have the utmost respect for the law, as demonstrated by my attention to changing the bylaws instead of just getting the illegal backyard chickens to begin with. If I wanted to break the law then I wouldn't have shone a spotlight on myself by attempting to amend the bylaws. I would have just done it. LOL. Honestly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by