A Shocker From My Landlord!

Go for the peacocks. Got my first ones Thursday. I had e-mailed Leggs Peafowl Farm about availability since everyone else was sold out and Brandon Legg called me Tuesday morning and asked if I still wanted some. He had some hatching and needed to ship on hatch day and would give me the assorted package at cheapest rate but would include the most expensive birds. Wanted to know if that would be o.k. "Wait let me think.........um YEAH". They are so cute - make the cutest cooing and purring noises. Yeah I know their grown shreeks can be loud but that's why I got them - for their watchdog ability and oh yeah,their beautiful and I've wanted some all my life. If anyone else wants some I talked to Brandon Legg again yesterday, he called to check on them (how's that for customer care) and he still has some hatching. These are so sweet but like little raptors when it comes to eating - they eat out of my hands and rip at my long nails and the food I scoop up with them. They can really bite and go at the food.

peachicks5.jpg

I am a landlordess! Its my own word I made up so there!
big_smile.png
I have to say I got very lucky. When I got married I owned a house in town and him, in the country! He says "Where do you want to live?" HELLO!!! NO BRAINER THERE!!!
lol.png
So we started a search for a tennant. I had a couple of doosies apply. Just a hint for other landlords out there. Search the CONNETWORK on-line. I did, typed in a potential tennants name and about fell off my chair when his picture and rap sheet appeared in front of me. WOW! That was a close one.
smile.png
Then this young girl(mid 20s)(when did I get SO old!) applied. She has a toddler and a cat. Her references were good and she has a good job. She has been a Godsend! She is always on time with her rent. She waters and mows the lawn. She has only called once in 7 months because the crawl space was flooding! I let her know how much we appreaciate her often!

After following the link Miss Prissy posted to Yurts, I want one!!! How cool to have one on the property!! Can be used for so many things and have been tested in heavy snows.

Please forgive me! I am not very computer savy(and my teenager is gone!
big_smile.png
). I don't know how to post the links like I see some of you doing:(. I just typed in con network. The space between is important. It came up with correctional offenders network. I noticed though that the top entry is just for MT. It looks like there are additional links there for other states. It would be nice if there was one to access all state prison records. I just happened to get "lucky" that mine spent time in prison in my own state! There may be one that does this I havn't researched it yet. I plan to though. I hope this helps.
smile.png

Renters have no stake in the property they rent. They don't own it, they don't insure it, they have no ties to it. It is a place to live for which they exchange money.
In return, the law usually sides with them. It's a heluva racket.
There are ways to get a better class of tenant, although most landlords dont know what they are. So they become hardened. This makes the tenant care even less. It's a downward spiral from there.
There are the occasional good tenants. But most of what I've said applies universally.
I'd say our girl dangerous has one of the better landlords.

For every bad tenant, there is a bad landlord, and, no, the law usually doesn't side with the tenant. That's why each state had to develop laws to protect renters. I've rented several places and have only had, what I consider, one good landlord. That is the one I have now. I've been hit on, I've been lied to, I've had to go without running water in the dead of winter for 2 months! (went to court over that one), in 3 of the places I had to live around all the owner's personal items that were still in "storage" in the house and buildings....the list goes on! For every bad tenant story, there are bad landlord stories, and the courts seem to favor the landowner over the more transient renter.

I have a good, if somewhat indifferent, landlord now and I thank God for him all the time! He lets me do whatever I want with this place and he hasn't been sorry. I've been here a year and it doesn't even look like the same place! Everyone thinks I bought it because we have worked so hard fixing it up. It went from a dreary, moldy, neglected-looking old farmhouse to a quaint, cheerful place that looks as if someone loves it.

D.C., you are one lucky gal!! BTW, have you been over to the new sister site... www.SufficientSelf.com?​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom