A Shocker From My Landlord!

Here is a picture of the yurt on the hill:

grapesandyurt.jpg

The landlord and family like the yurt, but they complain about how they should have bought the insulation package with it. The wind on that hillside is merciless when cold out, and the yurt gets really cold. They built a round deck for the yurt to sit on, for a foundation, and a long, rectangular deck to sit outside on (where the entryway is). They stay in it for a month at a time. Apparently they like it
lol.png

There are a lot of yurts out here. Most people do that or build strawbale houses to live off the grid. Buncha Oregon hippies
roll.png
Just kidding. They are being thrifty and smart! A good alternative to stick built and manufactured homes.

I don't mind paying for the peacocks, as they would be my pets anyway. I need to do them next spring because I JUST FINISHED my brooders for the summer, and cleaned everything up. They will be a next year project
smile.png
Thanks for the great info about Leggs Peafowl Farm, though. That really helps!

One more funny thought: My current post on my blog talks about a peacock encounter. I found that pretty freakin' ironic!

Edited to add: The big yurt company out here is http://www.pacificyurts.com/ They also have nice windows (and interiors!). I did visit the sufficient self site. COOL!

Last edited:
Wish ours would fix our broken stove and washer. But other than that I can't complain. He does after all let us keep all our critters here with no issues other than the pets can't be in the house. We even put the horses in the backyard to mow for us and he could care less what we do really. I think he's happy someone who will actually use the barns and doesn't complain about his hogs will live here. We've had some nasty landlords in the past.

We learned the most about them through the Oregon State Parks. They have them at several of their parks all along the ocean, in the mountains, the high desert, prairie land, etc. They are very adaptable structures.

Tell your parents and husband this: They come from Mongolia, and if you can survive the wind and cold of the Mongolian steppes in a yurt , you can survive most anywhere in one.

If I had one of my own, just an off the grid vacation one, I would have it very basic, and just add a composting toilet and a dry sink. You can just bring in your own water if their isn't any on site. Easy!

Last edited:
Yeah we love our yurts here in the PNW
big_smile.png

They totally should've gotten the insulation package-makes a huge difference!
You'd better watch out with the open poultry invitation DC-you'll end up with a bird zoo!
lol.png

I have vacationed in a yurt in winter! They are pretty awesome.

We snowshoe and there are a few places 'round here that are adjacent to trails (like the AT) and I have to say we have been in some bitter cold but toasty roasty once back at the yurt. Had a woodstove, and propane light/stove. An added plus, outhouses in winter have no bugs, & don't smell the way they can in summer (a lot has to do with maintenance of course). The guys well, they didn't use the outhouse as much as I did but that's life I guess.

Anyway, someday when we have that large backwoods property I'd stick a yurt on it - economical yet more sturdy then a tent.

And I want peafowl too someday! so cool, dangerous, you are a lucky one!

Quote:
I was going to ask the same thing but thought I'd see if someone else did first. Never heard of such a thing before.
hmm.png

It's a West Coast Hippie thing.

wink.png

I've always wanted to put one on my property. I thought for 10k we could have a really awesome one in our back yard that I could use as an office/guest room. DH thinks the money is better spent on actual lumber, solid walls, etc.

rant.gif
He's no fun.

Oh, and cool on the peacocks. We have some, now wild ones further up our canyon. I've heard the feather are bad luck to have indoors. Silly superstition and I have no idea where I heard that?

We'll see just how lucky after I am able to purchase, brood, and let loose some peafowl out here
lol.png

Could be dangerous, all right
lol.png

Thank you about the beautiful view. We love it here and agree it is the nicest place EVER. Yay Columbia River Gorge!

Back
Top Bottom