A short chicken feed rant

Check it, I have to drive over 30 minutes, out of county to even get to the nearest Tractor Supply and Wendy's; geesh; pfffft.
Same boat here, but since they're lower priced and consistently have a feed I like then I take the drive. Last time some guy was like "dang girl, you got a lot of chickens" after seeing 150 lbs of all flock and 50 lb of chick starter in my cart lol.

Their staff seems more knowledgeable about chickens than TSC as well so that's where I bought my chicks this year. So far 9 of 10 are exactly as labeled. One androgynous chick that I'm still staring at.

Oh lord, you sound like my husband! :gig
In his mind a "redneck" is a country boy, with a truck, a dawg (and maybe a red neck from the hot GA sun).

But seriously, we live in a small country town that don't even have a bowling alley, let alone a Rural King. Rural King!!! What is that?? Check it, I have to drive over 30 minutes, out of county to even get to the nearest Tractor Supply and Wendy's; geesh; pfffft.
I feel ya! We just recently got a gas station to go with the post office and city hall, that's it! 33 miles to the nearest TS, I prefer S&S Ag, it's only 10 miles away. I wouldn't trade it for anything, I love living in the country away from all the busy busy!

You're getting lots of good food-for-thought from @U_Stormcrow and it's good to talk with someone in your same general terrain and weather, because location makes a big difference in housing, feed and predator strategies, etc.

Best of luck in this journey. I personally had no idea how much chickens would change my views of the world, or all I would learn from them.

We have a lot of bears and bobcats, so we fenced off a 6,000 square-foot yard with 6' welded-wire + 3 lines of electric. They spend most of their time in this yard, and knowing their coops/runs are protected by an electric perimeter lets us sleep well at night. Brand wise, this solar charger has worked great.

For a mobile bachelor yard and extra pasture space, we've used 2 brands of poultry net fences, RentACoop and Premier 1. Premier 1 has been stronger, easier to install, and overall better quality. Though our brooder heating plate from RentACoop has been great.

In Tallahassee recently, I went to a restaurant called Backwoods Crossing. They have a little farm around back, with a run full of chickens including some of the prettiest Buff Brahmas I've ever seen. We have a couple Buff Brahma hens and love them. They lay smaller eggs (which I like), and they're calm and hardy and easy to handle, which is great for a chicken beginner. Anyway, I asked a farm employee where their chickens were from, and he said, "Somewhere in Georgia" and suggested to contact the owner by email to find out where. She never replied back to me, but I figured I'd share that tip with you in case you're looking for a chicken source and wanted to try emailing her through their contact us or something.

Note: wherever the Backwoods Crossing chickens came from, I'm pretty sure the chicks were straight run: there were a ton of roosters in this run. "Straight run" of course means you need to be prepared to house, re-home, or freezer-camp extra roosters, all of which is way harder than it sounds for most beginners.

Oh, and if you can get your husband to reduce his number of starting chickens, it might reduce your stress and increase your pleasure. Being able to focus on fewer birds in the beginning can help you master raising them. Just my 2¢, though. How you do it will be how you do it.

I have a larger area than most, and secured the pasture with high tensile wire and a plug in charger rated at 1.2j. Clay soils aren't particularly conductive (except when they are wet), so charger's - even with extra grounds - aren't as protective in practice as they are in theory.

Premier 1, etc simply isn't cost effective for 1/3 mile of fencing (approx 5 acres). I have about 330' of livestock fencing setting out some runs/pens inside that, attached on two sides of my barn. That said, the smaller the area the fence protects, the less high resistance in the ground matters.

Oh, and if you can get your husband to reduce his number of starting chickens, it might reduce your stress and increase your pleasure. Being able to focus on fewer birds in the beginning can help you master raising them. Just my 2¢, though. How you do it will be how you do it.
Honey, you're preaching to the choir. That's what I have been working on for two months or so. :rolleyes: Then again, what's he gonna do if I buy a small flock? Nothin'?

Dang it . . . thought I was talking to a girl (for some reason). :lau
:lau
Hahahaha. I've been called bad things, a mistake of gnder doesn't bother me. I've had the most beautiful pony tail for decades (except when donating it). Just had it chopped off (too damaged to donate), starting over.

Used to have "swimmer's legs" too - those days are gone. As are the cat calls.

I've ever seen. We have a couple Buff Brahma hens and love them. I asked a farm employee where their chickens were from, and he said, "Somewhere in Georgia" and suggested to contact the owner by email to find out where. She never replied back to me, but I figured I'd share that tip with you in case you're looking for a chicken source and wanted to try emailing her through their contact us or something.

Note: wherever the Backwoods Crossing chickens came from, I'm pretty sure the chicks were straight run: there were a ton of roosters in this run. "Straight run" of course means you need to be prepared to house, re-home, or freezer-camp extra roosters, all of which is way harder than it sounds for most beginners.
What's the name of the breeder, please? They are def. on my list for must-haves.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom