A sick chicken.

chicksarehere

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
I bought 10 chickens when they were about one month old; all different breeds. The one in the picture is different from the others. I don't know what breed she is. For the past 3 days, or maybe longer, she has not been eating and she drinks very little. Very lethargic. She lets me pick her up and when I put her down, she stays in the same spot for hours without moving. I have separated her from the flock. She has good strength in her wings but it seems as if her legs are too weak to support her. Any idea? Thanks for any reply.

This looks to be a polish.T(here are a couple of different breeds that have the crest on thier heads: Crevecoeurs, Houdans and Polish. Does yours have 4 or 5 toes on each foot? Houdans have 5 toes per foot and are usually mottled in color)

How old are they now? As far as the way she has been acting; does she seem to "melt" when set down? Does she kinda "waddle" in place and fluff her feathers out? I am wondering if she coul djsut be broody? You said shes not eating or drinking-often when broody, they want to stay in one spot and not move much at all. Also, (if shes old enough) Could she be egg bound?

If not of that fits, then I would try to get her to eat some scrambled eggs and if you have vitamins add some to the eggs. Good luck!

Thank for the quick reply. I don't know if she's broody. I've placed a golf ball and 2 ping pong balls next to her, but she has not touched them. From what I was told she's about 12 weeks old, I think too young for egg laying. I believe she has 4 fingers on each foot. I will try the scrambled egg and see what happens. Thanks.

OK. she has 5 toes on each foot. She will drink if I put her beak in the water but then she doesn't seem to be able to find the water by herself. could she be blind? Also, the top part of her beak is longer than the bottom part. Does her beak need to be trimmed? How would you do that? This is all new to me.

ugh! the last message I typed was on my tablet sorry for all the typos. I wouldn't worry about her beak. How does she act if you wave something around in front of her? You could try to trim some of the feathers from her vision (Not to short jsut trim up so she can see easier if it looks like its obstructing her vision. So you got her at 1 month old, and you have had her for an additional 2 months. Has she been fine up until the past week? Could she have eaten anything that the others didnt? Does her poop look normal? Do you have any vitamins you can give her? Or if not even try to get her to drink some gatorade (electrolytes) for now. And try the scrambled eggs or shredded cheese those usually get them eating.

thanks for the advice. unfortunately, she didn't make it. being blind, and all indications were that she was, she couldn't find the water or Gatorade or food. On the other hand, this is day 21 of my hatch and the first chick just started to walk around. He's disturbing the others. How soon should I put him/her in the brooder?

Back
Top Bottom