A silly question about mule ducks

Just to play with my feelings a bit more, my concerns about the membrane drying were valid, but kinda inaccurate. Some of the membrane had dried to his down, and even though the rest of the membrane has not shrinkwrapped him per se, it is definitely dried to him where it was touching. It also looks like he had a bowel movement in shell. It's not touching the yolk, but still kinda close to it. I have iodine on hand and neosporin. Are there any precautions regarding his navel I should take once he is out?

Baby is starting to put some serious effort towards squirming around and pushing with his feet, while chirping. Looks like the tiniest bit of yolk left, so I'm assuming he's going through the zipping process/motions. He's still taking rest breaks pretty frequently, so I'm keeping him in the time out cup until there's more activity than rest, then I'll lay him in the incubator without the cup and let him squirm himself free.

WE'RE HAVING A DUCKLING!

Kicked himself free at 11:42 am. I don't see any yolk remaining, but there was a bit of umbilical bleeding that I put kwikstop on. He is now taking a very well earned nap.

Attachments

• 20230528_114419.jpg
    20230528_114419.jpg
    550.5 KB · Views: 6
Just to thoroughly flood my own thread, I showed photos of him to the neighbors who gave me the egg. The husband's first words were "and to think I almost ate him for breakfast."

So on that note, Thomas doesn't feel right as his name, now that he's hatched. Are there any duck based breakfast dishes?

Just to thoroughly flood my own thread, I showed photos of him to the neighbors who gave me the egg. The husband's first words were "and to think I almost ate him for breakfast."

So on that note, Thomas doesn't feel right as his name, now that he's hatched. Are there any duck based breakfast dishes?
You could call him Omelet. We makes those with duck eggs or Scramble as we also scramble ours! LOL

He or She is absolutely precious!!!! Pokey would be another good name because it seemed to take FOREVER!!!! LOL
I'm starting to wonder if this little guy is just unlucky enough to have me as his mama, or if maybe I stare and watch the babies way too long. Before I laid him down in the incubator, I put shelf liner down, like always. His poor little claws kept snagging in the holes and getting caught and started taking it with him. Without the shelf liner, I was way too worried about his little yolk bump getting caught in the holes and pulled, since that's happened to chicks a few times. Usually just the embryo waste sac thingy, but since idk exactly what the bump is/was, I didn't want to chance it being yolk. Not comfortable putting him under a lamp yet, he's not mobile enough to go to a cooler spot if needed.

So now he's napping on the heating pad, where he seems perfectly comfortable, and loving his new ability to stretch.

He is still the quietest baby of any species I've experienced. Managed to flip on his back earlier and never made a peep.

Attachments

• 16853035487772303044198996630124.jpg
    16853035487772303044198996630124.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Now I'm breathing easy. Baby DOES have opinions, and those opinions are that he would like to be snugged up to me AND the heating pad, if he isn't allowed into my armpit. And if he is in my armpit, he does not appreciate me laughing and squirming and removing him. Once heard he heard me back in the living room, he started telling me. Soooo quiet though.

He is also starting to explore the towel a little bit. So far all the areas around where he is laying have been thoroughly investigated, and found unsatisfactory. He is starting to try to walk a bit now, so other areas will be investigated soon, I'm sure.

So now I'm 100% convinced he is progressing normally, is as healthy as possible, and not excessively exhausted from his hatching ordeal.

I've been referring to him as crunchy butt, because holy cow did he hatch already dried and so crunchy it looked like he swam in hair gel. So we'll see if that sticks

I'm starting to wonder if this little guy is just unlucky enough to have me as his mama, or if maybe I stare and watch the babies way too long. Before I laid him down in the incubator, I put shelf liner down, like always. His poor little claws kept snagging in the holes and getting caught and started taking it with him. Without the shelf liner, I was way too worried about his little yolk bump getting caught in the holes and pulled, since that's happened to chicks a few times. Usually just the embryo waste sac thingy, but since idk exactly what the bump is/was, I didn't want to chance it being yolk. Not comfortable putting him under a lamp yet, he's not mobile enough to go to a cooler spot if needed.

So now he's napping on the heating pad, where he seems perfectly comfortable, and loving his new ability to stretch.

He is still the quietest baby of any species I've experienced. Managed to flip on his back earlier and never made a peep.
I had mine on a paper towel and left under the light to finish absorbing and drying out. It worked well and the rest of the yolk was absorbed in a few hours. Good luck with yours. He sure is a cutie.

Back
Top Bottom