a simple collapse-able chicken tractor plans :>

mudpaw

Songster
10 Years
Sep 29, 2009
West Point, GA
I drew up some plans for a simple chicken tractor design...it's great for those of us who might need a temporary/seasonal tractor or even for a broody hen, but don't have tons of space to store them when not in use. This design fold totally flat (except for the nest box) for easy storage. What do you all think? I hope I described the steps well enough-any questions, just ask!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=42093-collapse-able-chicken-tractor

Very nice. We built something very like that last Summer and it works great. Ours is a little heavier, framed with cedar hinged at the top with wire cloth. Heavier has pros and cons. It's a little more work to move, but more predator proof. The girls practically lived in it. In the fall we folded flat to store. A very handy thing to have.

Yes, nice and simple. I keep and use 3 sizes of black (military spec) zip ties.
Also I like the 3/4" grey electrical PVC because it is resistant to the sun's rays.
To prevent it from sagging, the 1/2" metal electrical conduit will slide inside and it will still be lightweight.
I use PVC plumbing elbows and to protect them from the sun, paint them with the spray paint designed for plastic.
Thank you for sharing your design!
big_smile.png

Quote:
that's a good idea! I may have to go and buy some grey conduit then
smile.png
and some metal conduit to go with it! Thanks for the input!

Thanks everyone so far for your input and comments <3

I like it too. Please will someone tell me though HOW you get your chickens into it without them running off, how big would it have to be for 15 birds AND how do you move it with birds in there?

I like it too. Please will someone tell me though HOW you get your chickens into it without them running off,

Throw a handful of scratch inside.

how big would it have to be for 15 birds

HUGE!
You would be happier making 3 smaller ones 5'x10'

AND how do you move it with birds in there?

If you make them light enough you can just drag them slowly.​

I really like this idea. I don't really have any space restrictions, so I wouldn't have to worry about the folding part. But the basic design idea is great. I am already trying to figure an easy way to put removable wheels on it. That way you could make it a lot bigger and still move it easily. Lawnmower wheels and some electrical conduit for an axle should get it done.
Does the gray PVC come in 1 1/2 inch or bigger size? I found a place that sells every kind of PVC fitting under the sun.

PVC3way12inch.jpg

PVC4way12inch.jpg

You could use these fittings to make a frame and brace it using T-fittings every 2 or 4 feet. Wow! This has got my mind racing. A few of these would beat the hell out of building 1 big stationary run/coop.
THANKS
clap.gif

For really bad weather I could just roll them into my barn. It has a dirt floor so a little poop wouldn't hurt a thing

Thanks Cargo for the tips. As you can tell I dont have my birds yet...they will come around Feb 2 or 3. I have 5 acres and would like to move them around but I also have a lot of hawks, coyotes, dogs...etc.I LOVE the pvc idea too. I LOVE BYC! Where else would I learn this stuff?

Back
Top Bottom