A situation at church...

I also was going to post that it didn't seem that showing love and concern to the homeless was the issue, but how best to do it...Another thought I had while reading all of this.....Jesus went to the cross, suffered and died for a bunch of "dirty, homeless" people....all of us.

Very true.
thumbsup.gif

The full story goes something like this:

There was a rich man, who was clothed in purple and fine linen and who feasted sumptuously every day.
20 And at his gate lay a poor man named Laz'arus, full of sores,
21 who desired to be fed with what fell from the rich man's table; moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom. The rich man also died and was buried;
23 and in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes, and saw Abraham far off and Laz'arus in his bosom.
24 And he called out, `Father Abraham, have mercy upon me, and send Laz'arus to dip the end of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am in anguish in this flame.'
25 But Abraham said, `Son, remember that you in your lifetime received your good things, and Laz'arus in like manner evil things; but now he is comforted here, and you are in anguish.
26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, in order that those who would pass from here to you may not be able, and none may cross from there to us.'
27 And he said, `Then I beg you, father, to send him to my father's house,
28 for I have five brothers, so that he may warn them, lest they also come into this place of torment.'
29 But Abraham said, `They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
30 And he said, `No, father Abraham; but if some one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 He said to him, `If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be convinced if some one should rise from the dead.'"

So what was the rich man's sin? Simply that of stepping over his brother in need.

It carries a great penalty and I wouldn't want to have to argue my case on Judgment day. As has already been posted, you will be asked about how/when you fed the hungry, clothed the naked, visited the sick and confined. So many "Christians" think they just need to heed the Top 10 and nothing more but Jesus spoke very little about the Top 10 and much more about Love Thy Neighbor.

I have been readin this thread for a while now and not saying anything, because I have mixed feelings. Being a financial worker for Social Services, I deal out Food Stamps and other assistance to people. I can tell you that 90 percent of the time, its pure laziness that gets them kicked out of their homes with their kids taken away. 5% its really due to a legitimate mental/physical issue that requires professional help. The other 5% are open to debate but mostly seem to be circumstancial poverty where this is not the way they usualy live but something has happened in the last few months that drained their finances and they are doing everything they can to get back on top. But seriously, not joking, 90% is pure laziness or not wanting to cooperate with drug and alcohol rules. To me thats their own fault and they shouldnt be allowed to subject the congregation to that kind of mess. If they are willing to cooperate, great, get them working on groundskeeping or in their own soup kitchen. But if they arent willing, its off in the paddywagon for them as far as I am concerned.

I grew up very well, very privileged. Due to my own rebelion I ended up married to a drug addict slimeball and had no home and was mooching off of everyone around me. I made the choice to get out of there, and other people can make that choice too if they are willing to work a little.

I just don't understand the hatred towards the homeless. Who are we to judge who truly needs help and who does not? Let those who take advantage of others face their own judgment. I'd far rather help someone that didn't truly need my help than turn someone away who did.

i would invite you to spend a week working one on one at a mens day shelter then and i bet your opinion would change drastically. i am not trying to be mean but i really do think a lot of people are very misinformed about this subject.

Quote:
Thanks
smile.png
I've brought it up in other threads, but unless people have worked with them hand in hand, its hard to really understand what they are like and why those of us who've had....... well......
smile.png

I agree with the suggestion to place a porta potty nearby and ask them to clean up after themselves. Maybe help plant flowers or help with yard work, etc for the prilvedge of sleeping there and maybe some coffee and fruit. Those who dont want to help out an go elsewhere and those who want to stay will watch out for each other. If you make it too comfortable it will become a landing pad but if you ask them to help out and keep the place clean hopefully you will keep those who respect your church.

Back
Top Bottom