A situation at church...

So the church can make creating a safe place for the homeless a project. Leaving things as they are really isn't an option....unless the church doesn't mind losing members that is.

We have to stop and think about the discussion, it related to a Christian church and the congregation's response to people living on it steps. Another setting and perhaps logical secular reasoning would be enough. Think about what the actual calling is: Love God with all your being. Love your neighbor as yourself; your neighbor still qualifies if he/she is your enemy, persecutes you, lies to you. Love without action is meaningless. Is this bar set high? Absolutely, one believer has to rely on other members.

Quote:
Glad God doesn't feel this way, or we would ALL be in trouble ........
hmm.png
Righteousness is as filthy rags in the eyes of the Lord.

I may get angry at my kid's mistakes. I may feel frustrated and hopeless. But I also feel love and the realization that we all make mistakes. The Bible says to forgive, if you would want forgiveness.

But, we aren't talking about mistakes per se. We are talking about people with mental illness that goes beyond a few bad choices.

God loves those people the same as He loves you. They are his children the same as you are. Are we only supposed to love the "good" children? Do you only love your children when THEY are being "good"?

oh i would love them with all my heart but if they mess up, its their job to fix the mess. i would help in some ways, but as for enabling it? oh no. and if they were to go and crap on the local church steps, i would be first in line for calling and filing a police report.

Quote:
I think that most people on this thread are in agreement as to the fact that helping these people is a good thing to do.
smile.png

I am curious. You have not said in what manner you would help the homeless if you were a member of this church. What are your practical ideas for the OP?
smile.png

Last edited:
I suggest that the church let them know that it is not ok to make a mess of the entryway. Tell them that you're willing to help, but need some help from them too. They can work in the flowerbeds or mow the grass, paint the windowframes...odd jobs. In turn they can have a cot and some meals and a functioning toilet. They need to respect the building or they cant stay there.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

That's the best Idea I've seen yet.... Although the CEO of Google tried to do something like that. He went down to the corner by his corporate HQ and offered them all well paying jobs with benefits along with all the necessary training. He did this for 3 days running.

of all the peeps only 1 took him up for it and the rest remained there begging on the corner. it's easier when you don't have responsibilities.

Quote:
hmm.png

I may get angry at my kid's mistakes. I may feel frustrated and hopeless. But I also feel love and the realization that we all make mistakes. The Bible says to forgive, if you would want forgiveness.

But, we aren't talking about mistakes per se. We are talking about people with mental illness that goes beyond a few bad choices.

God loves those people the same as He loves you. They are his children the same as you are. Are we only supposed to love the "good" children? Do you only love your children when THEY are being "good"?

I couldn't agree more. Since when was it Christian to turn away someone because they are 'too bad'? What about redemption?

It wouldn't say much for a church if they turned away those in need, and who knows what the greater plan is behind their being there.

Wow...great mix of ideas! While reading through the posts, I couldn't help but make comparisons to attitudes toward poverty in schools.

I've always worked in very poor areas while teaching. I've noticed that typically, white female teachers from middle or affluent backgrounds are the most sympathic toward poor students (black or white), and tend to excuse poor behavior, effort, and attitudes. Although I am white and middle class now, I grew up in poverty with a single mom raising four kids. I hated being poor and worked to get away from that. I don't coddle my poor kids because I don't believe coddling is going to help move them to a better place in life. I don't accept poverty as an excuse or reason for failure. I encourage, I cheer, I try to motivate, but I don't take excuses. Making excuses or feeling sorry for them is NOT going to help them achieve (IMO). Now that doesn't mean that I don't feel badly for many of them (inside my heart), but I don't want them to be thinking "Poor me...this is as good as it gets...why bother?"

I notice that the posters who have actually "been there," or have worked in the trenches with these folks have a harder (probably more realistic) view of this homeless situation, and homelessness in general. They are speaking from experience. I'm of the attitude of extending a hand up, but not a hand-out myself. But I am very thankful that there are so many truly giving, kind-hearted people in our world, who love others just because they feel it's the right thing to do. It brings balance to us all...and forces many of us to rethink our own views.

Quote:
(Matthew 25)

sometimes I think people in churches are too safe and secure in their little world to remember to care for those who aren't like them.

i have read the entire discussion and i agree with this post!

it is very similar to some quotes from the Quaran!

"Those needy ones who are wholly wrapped up in the cause of Allah, and who are hindered from moving about the earth in search of their livelihood especially deserve help. He who is unaware of their circumstances supposes them to be wealthy because of their dignified bearing, but you will know them by their countenance, although they do not go about begging of people with importunity. And whatever wealth you will spend on helping them, Allah will know of it. (2:273)"

Quote:
hmm.png

I couldn't agree more. Since when was it Christian to turn away someone because they are 'too bad'? What about redemption?

It wouldn't say much for a church if they turned away those in need, and who knows what the greater plan is behind their being there.

i bet jesus would have some harsh things to say to the people crapping on the porch. i dont think he would approved of little children being exposed to that sort of thing and would do something about it instead of molly coddling them.

Back
Top Bottom