1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

A SKUNK sprayed my dog ! ! !

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mahsmaj, Jul 2, 2008.

1. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Any ideas of how to make the smell get off of my dog ? ? ?

2. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Tomato juice?

3. Judymae

Judymae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2007
    Merit, Tx
    This happens to my friends dogs all the time. She puts them in a kiddy pool outside and rinses them with Summers Eve douches. I know that sounds strange but it's what her vet said to use. And it works!! Just keep pouring it over them kinda like when you dip a dog.

4. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Yes. Open a can of tomato juice....several actually....wash him with soap and water first...then leave the tomato juice on for at least 30 minutes. Wash again... [​IMG]
    Also on the last cycle liberally dose him with white vinegar...careful of the eyes and nose.
    My brother got sprayed by a skunk when he was trapping....ugh! [​IMG]
    Is it a house dog? How large?

5. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Quote:Shes a large rottweiler that stays outside most of the time but comes inside sometimes

6. rdranch

rdranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2007
    Strasburg,CO
    Ours got sprayed last fall and we used a product call "Skunk Off" that we got from the vet. It worked very well and they only spent two nights in the garage. It works best if you have NOT already bathed them. Also if that product is not available in your area a friend of mine used hydrogen peroxide and he said it also worked very well. That is you don't mind your dog looking like they got a bad dye job as it will discolor the fur. GOOD LUCK hope this was helpful.[​IMG]

7. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    Oh....well....uhmmm...good thing it's warm outside. [​IMG] Nothing will remove it instantly, but it will fade.
    Seriously, our coondogs would get sprayed frequently...no worries...we gave them a bath by running them thru the creek and then mom would give us a can of tomato juice (reduces the smell & reaction some folks have to the scent), and a jar of vinegar (removes oils).

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2008
  8. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    dog groomer here,
    first the skunk off is great, its a squeeze bottle that you can keep around and keep appling as needed, as every time the dog gets wet for a long time that smell is on it,
    however also, there is a home recipe, of 1tsp dawn dish det,(as it is an oil that skunks spray) and
    vanilla extract, peroxide mixed in water and use to sponge on like a dip, bathing the dog in straight dawn isnt really recommended however a tiny amount will do wonders to cut the oil down a bit.

and can i say, nothing reallly works! short of a long haired dog getting shaved down and still smells,

it is what is the best cover up..lol

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    From this month's Missouri Conservation Magazine,
    "Skunk Tonic
    Mix together:
    1 quart of hydrogen peroxide
    1/4 cup baking soda
    1 teaspoon liquid laundry soap or dishwashing detergent

The first two ingredients form an alkaline peroxide that chemically changes the skunk essence into sulfonic acid, an odorless chemical. The soap breaks down the oily skunk essence and makes it more susceptible to the other chemicals.
    Chemicals in this formula are harmless, but try this solution at your own risk. To be safe, keep the formula away from the eyes,nose and mouth of people and pets.
    Do not store this mixture or put i in a closed container. When kept in a warm place, the mixture may espand and burst the container.
    This recipe and other tips can be found in Missouri's Skunks at www.missouriconservation.org/257 "

10. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

The recipe above works WELL I used it on my dogs several times and each time we could let them back in the house with very little smell left on them It still does smell a tiny bit but NOTHING like it did! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by