A strange looking egg!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Doll Maker, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Doll Maker

Doll Maker Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    I got this egg this morning from a hen that only just is starting to lay. This is her second egg and the first one had these little "bumps" on it too. They sort of look a little like fish or frog eggs that you sometimes see floating on the surface of the water. Hard little round balls on the surface of the shell. They scratch off pretty easy and the shell underneith looks just fine. I broke the first one and it appeared to be just fine. Anyone know what might cause this??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They look like calcium deposits but check the bird for mites/lice just to be sure.

Love your corgi avatar!!

3. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like eggs to me. Awesome pic by the way.

4. Sunny the Hippie Chick

Sunny the Hippie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Brookings Oregon
    My aunt has a cross breed chicken of unknown breeds that lays eggs like that.. The bird is healthy, no mites.. My aunt thought it was because she was a new layer. But it never stopped.. Just in case it is a inherited thing, I wouldnt hatch any of the eggs like that.

5. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    I have an Isa Brown that lays one of these eggs every day. All my others lay normal eggs. It doesn't worry me but the dog gets them. [​IMG]

6. jessupfamily

jessupfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    SW Indiana
    Calcium, and we've hatched some like this and eat them too! All of our chicks turned out great and the eggs have never been anything but good! Chickens process vitamins and minerals differently just like humans do. This is just one of the many, many outcomes.

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Delved into this last winter (still not sure if: Vitamin D related/excess Calcium in the particular hen). So far as I know there is no specific (publically funded) research on the reasons for these specific shapes to precipitate out with such precision (molding owing to tissue pliance variability in the reproductive tract?). We only saw it that once.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=32521&p=1

Have fun with your `composite bioceramics'!

8. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    It's a SIGN! I see a bunny, a skateboarder, and Italy, what do you guys see? [​IMG]

9. Doll Maker

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Quote:Thanks Jenn, That's our boy Sparky. The hen doesn't have mites or anything. The bumps are hard, just like the shell. I scraped some off and crushed them, just look like dry powder? She is a young layer, I think this must be her first eggs. She's laid two so far and both of them had this odd stuff on them. I washed the first one and when I used the egg brush the llittle bumps washed off and the shell looked perfectly normal. I cracked this one and scrambled it for the Corgi. Seems to me the shell is a little bit thinner than the others.
    [​IMG]

10. Doll Maker

Jan 6, 2009
    NW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by