A strange scovy (or two): Month old suspected Buff x Scovy hybrids!

hunnybee

Hatching
May 24, 2020
The ducklings I posted about earlier have gotten big and their feathers are gorgeous but I haven't seen anything quite like them. We only have one muscovy in the flock and she likes a very particular Buff so I suspect these two are those hybrids. CHECK OUT THE BABY PICS:
1 day (with heating pad on low on half of the box beneath them)
20200508_193318.jpg

The light one's named Robin, the darker one is Raven. Turns out they're aptly named since Raven is a big chonking lad!
1 week:
20200514_135409.jpg

At two weeks, Robin's voice started to change. Raven also started trying but ended up being much more quiet than his sister. I have over a hundred pictures so I won't include all of them, but here's Raven now that he's got some of his feathers coming in :)

Here's them now! Robin is the one in the front, Raven's in the back. Thorsty.
20200608_195450.jpg

He wouldn't pose for the camera, but he did sit on my shoulder. Close enough?
20200608_195559.jpg
20200608_195630.jpg

We won't know for sure until they're grown but our Muscovy is pigeon-toed and both of these babies are too. Fingers crossed because the Muscovy is such a sweetheart :)
Hope you like them! More pics to come.

Edit:
The pidgeon toeing is genetic relating to the mother muscovy whom does not have a niacin deficiency. The babies also eat specific grain tailored to them and roam our garden and have no walking difficulties. Based on what I've read about deficiencies they'd be reluctant to walk and these little dorks run all over the place so I don't think that's it haha :)
Lil feet's:
20200608_203906.jpg

Scooped:
20200608_204009.jpg

Last edited:
The ducklings I posted about earlier have gotten big and their feathers are gorgeous but I haven't seen anything quite like them. We only have one muscovy in the flock and she likes a very particular Buff so I suspect these two are those hybrids. CHECK OUT THE BABY PICS:
View attachment 2184150
The light one's named Robin, the darker one is Raven. Turns out they're aptly named since Raven is a big chonking lad!
1 week:
View attachment 2184164
At two weeks, Robin's voice started to change. Raven also started trying but ended up being much more quiet than his sister. I have over a hundred pictures so I won't include all of them, but here's Raven now that he's got some of his feathers coming in :)

View attachment 2184174
View attachment 2184178View attachment 2184183

We won't know for sure until they're grown but our Muscovy is pigeon-toed and both of these babies are too. Fingers crossed because the Muscovy is such a sweetheart :)
Their so cute!

I'll be adding vitamins to their water but from the posts I've read a lot of muscovies have feet's that are close together! Luckily they don't have any walking difficulties, their feet are just a little close together and sometimes they stand with an overlap. Thank you for the thread link though!

View attachment 2184150
1 week:
View attachment 2184164

View attachment 2184174
View attachment 2184178View attachment 2184183

Edit:
The pidgeon toeing is genetic relating to the mother muscovy whom does not have a niacin deficiency. The babies also eat specific grain tailored to them and roam our garden and have no walking difficulties. Based on what I've read about deficiencies they'd be reluctant to walk and these little dorks run all over the place so I don't think that's it haha :)
Lil feet's:
View attachment 2184247
Scooped:
View attachment 2184248
They are gorgeous! I look forward to seeing more pictures as they mature! :love

Thank you! Robin has some pinfeathers coming in visibly on her wings and I'm so happy to see them. I weighed them today!

Raven: 1.4kg
Robin: 900g
Robin stayed still so I'm sure of the accuracy of her measurement but Raven wouldn't sit his little butt down so give or take a few hundred grams on him. He's a chonker.

Back
Top Bottom