A strange type of comb!!!

Thomas Lamprogiorgos

Songster
6 Years
Oct 19, 2017
Greece
Hello, everyone.

I have some hens which express this rare and very strange type of comb. I was told that they are a landrace breed of greek origin. Extremely poor layers, excellent brooders, love people and attraction, thrieve in low density feed rations and poor feeding in general, strong immune system.

In Greece we call them Castled Chickens because their comb resembles towers and castles.

Attachments

• strange 4.jpg
    strange 4.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 55
  • strange comb 1.jpg
    strange comb 1.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 53
  • strange comb 2.jpg
    strange comb 2.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 51
  • strange comb 3.jpg
    strange comb 3.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 52
  • strange comb 5.jpg
    strange comb 5.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 50
  • strange comb 6.jpg
    strange comb 6.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 49
  • strange comb 7.jpg
    strange comb 7.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 46
  • strange comb 8.jpg
    strange comb 8.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 47
  • strange comb 9.jpg
    strange comb 9.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 43
  • strange comb 10.jpg
    strange comb 10.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 44
  • strange comb 11.jpg
    strange comb 11.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 48
  • strange comb 12.jpg
    strange comb 12.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 51
Are you living in Greece where you have these? My family is Greek and we visit every few years. I would love to try to find some hatching eggs of various local breeds and land races to attempt to bring back home with me! I’ve heard of a few different land races there

Are you living in Greece where you have these? My family is Greek and we visit every few years. I would love to try to find some hatching eggs of various local breeds and land races to attempt to bring back home with me! I’ve heard of a few different land races there
Hello. My aunt had many many chickens of this rare pure local breed. She was a professional farmer. She died of a heart attack and burnout due to doing this extremely hard job. All her chickens were eaten by predators.

Try to contact "farm pateras". They sell some indigenous local chickens.

But, in my opinion, the only profitable chicken breeds are the white leghorns of hy-line and the white meat birds of cobb.

That's why no one wants local breeds.

The first hen looks like she has a modified pea comb (one copy of the pea comb gene and one single comb gene). There’s possibly some other genes involved as well. The second hen looks like she may have a walnut/cushion comb.

Back
Top Bottom