A Tired Question, But Humor a Newbie about coop/range size?

Aunt Angus

🐓+🦆+🐐=🎪
5 Years
Jul 16, 2018
Nevada County, CA
Hi! New to BYC. I'm loving it so far! :)

OK - I have 4 chicks arriving mid-August. So I just found a farm locally that breeds Lavender Orpingtons. I WANT. Do you think hubby will notice an extra chick? I mean, what's one little chickie??? LOL

I live in a low-density suburban/ruralish area. Not a huge lot or anything, but I have about 8,000 square feet of yard for the little darlings to range in. A 20 square foot coop and a 72 square foot run (for when they can't be supervised) should be enough, yes? I plan to allow them out more often than not. The forums (or is it fora - I am forgetting my Latin) have been super helpful, but it is always good to get the opinions of folks with experience.

Ballpark average is 4 sq ft per bird in the coop, 10 sq ft of run. Your dimensions suggest 5 will fit. However, as with any averaging, the temperament of the individuals has a lot to do with it. If you're getting 4 +1 add on that would be the max recommended. Better to build bigger if it's not already done. Too crowded can lead to behavior and health problems. Also since "chicken math" has already started:gig

Welcome to BYC!

The forums (or is it fora - I am forgetting my Latin)
I love this question, but have no idea of the answer!

Where in this world are you located?
Climate is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, then it's always there!
upload_2018-7-20_11-37-6.png

Back
Top Bottom